Loss of my mum

Hello to you all…
I’m new to this group and new to losing a parent.
My mum. I lost her 26/08/2023.
Thankfully I was sat next to her holding her arm and just watching her laboured breathing. Then she stopped. But she looked so peaceful. So beautiful.
I knew she was on her way to meet up with her mum whom passed away when my mum was 6.
We had to wait 3 weeks until she could be cremated. Longest 3weeks of my life. The funeral went as well as a funeral could go. I cried from the moment I saw her coffin all the way through the service. The wake again was ok. But just wanted to be at home.
Since then I have not cried at all… I have photos of her. I have some of her ashes here with me. But still no tears. Life is sort of getting back to normal and I have had just felt numb.
Will I cry? Will this numbness ?

2 Likes

Hi there. I’m so sorry. I lost my mum aged 90 in May this year. It has been so hard. The hardest thing I’ve ever had to deal with in life. She developed a chest infection in the care home and I managed to get there at 4.30am as she was taking big gasps and then just stopped. Again she was so peaceful. I had to wait 3 weeks as well before her funeral. It’s so surreal, isn’t it? At least we have those memories that they were hopefully not in any pain, and that it was a peaceful passing. I am struggling still 4 months on. Some days are good, others not so good. I just try to keep myself busy. I look at photos on my phone of her and all the videos I took of her, and I talk to her on my phone (stupid as it sounds). I really believe she hears me and I believe she is around me, guiding me on. Don’t worry if you haven’t cried since the funeral. Our brains are funny things, and we all deal with grief in different ways. It’s just probably your way of processing it all, and perhaps shielding you from further pain. You may find in a week or so, you might be overwhelmed (sorry!). Our grief comes in many forms and in many stages. Just remember to take it easy day to day, week to week, and as everyone says ‘be kind to yourself’. Sending you hugs. xxx

2 Likes

Hi. I’m so sorry you’ve lost your mum. My mum died in November last year so I’m 10 months in and sometimes still feel numb and overwhelmed by it all. We also had a 3 week wait before the funeral and my memory of the whole thing is hazy. Mum died very suddenly (pancreatic cancer) and my grief counsellor has said that the trauma will have affected my memory of the final stages but this will come back gradually. She has been spot on so far - I find myself having a different response every day. It’s all extremely tiring and difficult, and I dont know how to even begin explaining it to other people. Sending you lots of love and strength, keep talking - it helps xx

2 Likes

Hi there you lost your mum a month before I did… It’s all different to how we cope and first I was numb and hated that feeling was like I felt I didn’t care… which I know it’s not… but I kept thinking if mams looking down she will think I don’t care… there’s all stages of grief… I think there’s also complicated grief that it doesn’t hit you for a long time after. I think that’s what it’s called. Or maybe because you say with your mam when she was passing you can accept it… how old was your mam ? X