Loss of my soulmate

I am struggling after the sudden loss of my husband. We were together for 30years, I am lost without him. I feel exhausted trying to keep going. I don’t know how to cope

Hello Saoirse,

I’m so sorry for your sudden loss, after 30 years together you must miss him so much.
My partner died suddenly 3 months ago after 47 years together and like you I’m completely lost, my whole life disappeared when he died.
I hope you have somebody to support you. Often it’s the people you least expect are the most helpful a neighbour often knocks on the door just to check I’m ok. An old friend we haven’t seen for years phones to see if I need any help.
Don’t try to do too much, trying to “keep busy” doesn’t always help. Take time to think about your lovely husband and grieve for him.
I wish I could say more to help you but I’m struggling as well, the only time I feel a little better is when I’m walking in the country or sitting quietly in the lovely churchyard near us.

I wish you well at this sad time, take care Jx

Thank you so much for your reply. My husband died just before Christmas aged 51. I am trying so hard to hold everything together for our children, who are both missing him so much too. Trying to support my son, who is still at home and has been struggling with his own difficulties. It’s just so hard to do this on my own without him beside me. I am trying to carry on and accept visits and invitations from friends, trying not to isolate myself. Inside I just want to hide and give up. I just miss him so much. I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. Sending you warm thoughts. Thank you for your kind words

I am so sorry for your loss, it must be particularly hard trying to be strong for the children who need you. I know how you feel having lost my husband after 40 years together, it was 15mths ago and I am still trying to accept my loss and come to terms with the grief, I miss him so much. Just take one day at a time and do the best you can with that day, try not to be overwhelmed by looking ahead too much and get out for walks, try and stay well, be kind to yourself and do not expect too much. God Bless

Hello Dalejackie

I am so sorry for your loss and know how you feel having lost my husband after 40 years together, like you I feel completely lost, my whole life disappeared as I do not feel able to continue the hobby we shared for so many years. I know that I will have to make a new life but am still mourning for the old one. I am not yet ready to take up new interests or mix with groups of people I don’t know, or do some volunteering as I would like to as I need to rebuild myself first. You are right about not trying to do too much, you need to rest if you feel that you need to, not drive yourself too much Take care x

Hello Dalejackie

I am so sorry for your loss and know how you feel having lost my husband after 40 years together, like you I feel completely lost, my whole life disappeared as I do not feel able to continue the hobby we shared for so many years. I know that I will have to make a new life but am still mourning for the old one. I am not yet ready to take up new interests or mix with groups of people I don’t know, or do some volunteering as I would like to as I need to rebuild myself first. You are right about not trying to do too much, you need to rest if you feel that you need to, not drive yourself too much Take care x

Hello Annabel, thank you for replying, It’s so hard to think about “a new life” when all you want is your old life back , warts and all! its true we never really know how much we have until it’s snatched away from us. Take care of yourself. J x