Loss of wife.

My wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 5 years ago after battling through 3 six session chemotherapys she lost her battle in June this year. I thought I was prepared for the inevitable but never imagined the grief I am feeling. It is difficult after 48 years of marriage to think she is never coming through the door again. I feel lost, desolate and emotionally week. Is there any recommended methods of coping as I feel I can’t carry on like this.

Hello Harvey I just wanted to drop you a line to say I’m sorry for your loss and I’m sending you compassionate thoughts. I lost my Husband 53 weeks ago. I have often heard people advise to take things a day at a time and I must admit I found this quite tiresome but in reality it’s the best advice there is really as looking into the future can sometimes be too much for our fragile state of mind to manage. Some people find reading books on grieving can help. There are two grief-related websites I find helpful, one is www.whatsyourgrief.com and www.aftertalk.com. The former has lots of resource articles and the latter has a questions and answers section headed by a qualified grief expert. The only piece of advice I could give related to personal experience is to not suffer in silence and ask for help if you need it as “bottling things up” inside is the worse thing you can do. Kindest regards Tina

Hi Tina, many thanks for the compassionate thoughts and practical advice. I wish I were further down the road to recovery and I agree to think of the future now is daunting. I will checkout the websites you suggested to see what help they can offer. Once again many thanks Harvey.