Lost both parents within 12 weeks of each other

My mum went into hospital in October and died in December 18 and my dad died in March 19. I have always lived with my parents. I can feel lonely and isolated particularly in the evenings and at weekends when I may not see or speak to anyone. My family tell me I need to move on and look to the future. If only it was that easy. I have been seeing a counsellor since December 19 who tells me the way I am feeling is normal grieving and it will take time. I have had great support from friends and my place of employment over the last 18 month without which I would not have been able to cope to this point. I work extra hours to have some routine in my life, to be with people and avoid going home to a empty house. When I get emotional at work, people do not always know how to deal with it and avoid me which is the last thing I want. Some days I am just trying to hold it all together. I am told I am coping better than I think but some days I feel things have not moved on at all.

1 Like

BAB, what a hard blow you’ve had with the lost of both of your parents within short time.
I lost my Dad 20 years ago and my Mum suddenly just over 5 months ago. I lived with my Mum, as her long term carer.
It’s not easy and the truth is we will miss them forever, but life will get slowly better. it’s going to take time. Take care

1 Like