Lost Mum over a year ago

I lost my Mum Christmas Eve 2020. She was 77 when she passed away. I was told a few days before she passed that she was dying. It’s only hitting me now that she’s gone. I don’t think I let myself grieve at the time. I had so much to do and other people to take care of. It’s only now that everything has calmed down that I’ve realised she’s not coming home. I’ve buried how I’ve been feeling and just put a smile on my face, but it’s all just come to the surface and I have no idea how to handle the sadness I feel.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. It’s good that you’ve expressed your feelings on here. I found it helped me just to share my thoughts. You may want to consider one to one counselling to unpack all those emotions you have buried.

Hi @Dodull91
Firstly I’m so sorry you lost your Mum. My Mum was nearly 77 when she passed away in November. It’s so painful.
It’s lovely that you’ve found your way onto here as there are so many of us and we are all here for you.
@CIT is right, some counselling may help you as it sounds as though you have unprocessed grief but you’ve taken the first step and realised so that’s credit to you.
My husband lost his Mum suddenly at 15, she was 38. He never properly grieved for her and ended up having a breakdown three years ago, he’s now 48. It’s just an example of what it can do if you bottle it up and not talk about it. Don’t end up like him, let it out. Acknowledge it, get it to pull up a chair and sit beside you.
Losing your Mum is life changing and one of the worst things anyone can go through, its massive. But be kind to yourself as you know this deep down and are wanting to face it head on now. My hat goes off to you, you’re very brave and have been wonderful to all those other people you’ve had to take care of. Now It’s your turn. Take moments just for you.
Always here to chat whenever you want, no pressure.
Sending compassionate thoughts…

2 Likes

It has been 1 year ago today since my amazing mum passed away. It broke my heart, I have never been the same since. It destroyed me. We all understand each others feelings on here, and know we are not alone. Take care.

1 Like

I’m so sorry seems an inadequate thing to say but we just don’t have the words do we? Each anniversary brings its own memories, at least with birthdays we can think of joyful times but this just brings back that raw heartache. I hope you are surrounded by people who love you and loved your Mum. Remember this online community understands what youre going through .

1 Like

Thank you so much for your messages. No one really understands there are no words to make me feel better but I’ve finally found a safe space where people know exactly how I’m feeling. I have trouble expressing my emotions, my Mum always said I was like my Dad in that way. I’m crying more these days and after reading all of your messages I’ve realised that’s ok, the grief is finally hitting me.

2 Likes