Lost mum

Hi all
My mum died 9 days ago in hospital after a sudden illness- i visited her every day for the last 15 days of her stay in intensive care.

I was the one that had to decide when to stop her life support when recovery wouldn’t happen.

I was upset when it happened but I already feel back to normal . We still haven’t got the death certificate as it has gone to the coroner.

I have 2 weeks bereavement leave from work now but feel guilty taking it.

I know people that take weeks and even months off work when a parent has died an i normal?

I was close to my mum and visited her weekly and we never fell out.

Anyone else had this experience?

Hi @Jg1964,

Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing about your situation. I’m so sorry to hear about your Mum’s sudden death, that must have been really hard for you. I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here and I hope that you find the community a good source of support.

Everyone reacts and processes grief in different ways - there is certainly no “one size fits all” when it comes to grief. It is still such early days and you might find that your emotions change as the days and weeks go on.

I thought I’d share with you some resources and articles from our website which you might find helpful, even if they simply assure you that grief is different for everyone.

Keep reaching out - know that you’re not alone.

Take care,
Megan

Hi jg1964,
I’m so sorry for your loss.
I lost both my parents 4 years ago I had 3 months off work so don’t you feel guilty having time off , you have as long as you need going back when you’re not ready could make you feel even worse. Stay strong take care x