Lost without dad

I was a carer for my dad for nearly 5 years. Sadly he passed away end of November 2020. Wasn’t covid related and it was fairly sudden and not expected at all. I have always suffered with depression and anxiety. Not a person to open up on my feeling or thoughts to people as I have trust issues as well. I am struggling with the loss of dad x miss his calls my daily visits and generally life without him . I don’t know how to work through this? Any advice would be appreciated x

Hi @Topcat.1, I am so sorry to read about your dad. I’m so glad you were able to get in touch as I’m sure you will find others here who have gone through something similar and possibly feel the same way.

We have some useful resources on our website, including this article which I thought you might find insightful.

I’m not sure if you are aware but Sue Ryder also offers a free bereavement counselling service. It can often be a lot easier to talk with a professional counsellor about your feelings. There is currently a waiting list, but if you would like to find out more, you can do so here.

Another good place to get support is Cruse Bereavement. They offer a helpline, email support, counselling and support groups through their local services. Contact them on 0808 808 1677, helpline@cruse.org.uk or via their website

I do hope you find our community helpful. Keep reaching out and please know that we’re here for you.

Take care,

Mick
Online Community team

Topcat, you know you have come to the right site because so many of us have trust issues and find it hard to open up. On here we all have lost a very special person and our lives are never going to be the same and we also change, not the same person.
Grieving is hard, there’s no rules or timelines, it’s all very personal which makes it even harder to understand what we are going through. The outside world have no idea how we are feeling. Writing about how you feel either on here or in a note book helps some people, it’s private and if you don’t want you never have to read it. Walking also helps, in fact keep doing anything that takes your mind off how you feel just for a short while can be the lifeline you so desperately need. We are always here for you. Take care S xxx

Thankyou both for your kind words and advice . As you are aware some days are harder than others. And trying to get through a day without crying or getting angry at stupid things can be tough . I know my dad would not want me to be like this , but some days it’s hard . X