Medication

I’ve posted here a few times after my wife took her own life. I now scream out uncontrollably whilst braking down, I’m struggling with it…my work have provided counselling and I’m due to see a psychiatrist soon…I’m wary of medication but not sure now if I need it to be able to get through as I’m worried now when I brake down.

Hello GL
I am so sorry to hear you’ve been bereaved by suicide. It has to be one of the most difficult types of bereavement to cope with. It’s no wonder you feel so scared and distraught. Please do keep reaching out for help, and if medication helps you get through this horrendous time of your life then take it. The only thing that matters is getting through it. When you’re in a better place you can deal with stuff better, but for now, you’re struggling and that is understandable. Wishing you support and healing. Kind regards.
Debz

2 Likes

Hello GL,
I can only tell you of my own experience. I have been prescribed antidepressants for a number of years since a nervous breakdown in my early forties, and I do believe that they have helped me during my grief journey. I am sure your psychiatrist will work out the best treatment plan for you - mine certainly did - and I also received lots of support from The Community Mental Team. Go forward into this period of support with courage and hope, not with fear and trepidation. It is a very hard, lonely and trying time for you, but with love and support things will start to ease, and you will begin to see hope for the future. Sending you a hug and hope for healing, Jayne xxx

3 Likes

Hi GL,

One of the best decisions I ever made was to take a course of medication. It makes the ground beneath you just that bit firmer. You have been through a horrifying ordeal - why shouldn’t you have a little help to get through it? Tablets do NOT medicate your grief, but they can lessen the nasties that go with it. I used to scream my head off too in the early days. Take care, my friend - unpack why you’re wary of medication.

Louise

1 Like