Miss you Dad x

When I was 18 years old, my dad committed suicide and I still find it really hard to come to terms with it at 22. I always thought things would get better but recently I just haven’t been able to find any happiness as I’m always depressed and have developed anxiety which I believe was caused by the traumatic experience I went through… just wondering if anyone else out there has been through something similar and how do you cope? Thank you

I’m so sorry for the loss of your Dad, I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice to you as I haven’t been through that myself, although my husbands Dad took his life when my husband was 11.
I just wanted to send you my love xx

I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your dad to suicide when you were so young. It is understandable that this has had a big impact on you and that you are struggling.

I’m glad that you’ve joined this site, and I hope it helps to be able to talk to other users with similar experiences. While you wait for more replies to your post, I have found some other posts you might be interested to read and reply to:

SW is 23 and is struggling with the death of his mum three years ago: https://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-death-loved-one/three-years-i-lost-my-mum

Connor and Leah have both lost family members to suicide: https://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-death-loved-one/struggling-cope-my-brothers-suicide

Have you heard of Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS)? They offer a helpline, email support and local support groups - perhaps you might find it helpful to contact them?

Hi Priscilla, thank you for you message and posting the links to people who have been through similar circumstances. Will read through them and even see if I can help in any way as it would be great to talk to people and help also get some help myself. Thank you

Thank you for your message even if you haven’t been through the same thing… its nice to see people give their support, it really helps a lot thank you x

I lost my dad when I was 17 and I still miss him even though I’ll be 57 shortly . I had a brilliant relationship with him and even though I only had him for such a short time I’ve learnt a lot from his example and his influence has fundamentally shaped my life . I wish with all my heart that he could have stayed around longer to see me grow up and have kids of my own but I treasure the time I did have with him and feel his influence to this day nearly 40 years later

Sorry for your loss, I haven’t lost anyone in this way but a friend has and she felt talking to other people effected by suicide was helpful hope you find this site and any links helpful take care