Missing Dad

My Dad passed away nearly 5 weeks ago and I am missing him so much. He passed away suddenly and I didn’t get chance to say goodbye. He was in hospital however no-one including the doctors were expecting him to pass. I still can’t fully believe he has actually gone and I will never see him again even though it seems a lot longer than 5 weeks since I actually saw him. This is my first time posting however I have read lots posts on here since he passed and found many of them relatable. I feel like I am on an emotional rollercoaster and have had a bad day today so I thought it was time I posted myself. I find it difficult to know who to talk to about it all. I have my mum however I find it difficult to tell her how upset I am as she is also grieving. I am an only child and don’t have a partner or children, although I do have a few friends who continue to check how I am doing.

5 Likes

Hi Vix1,

I’m very sorry for your loss.

I lost my dad just over three months ago. My dad passed away in November 2022, 8 weeks after a cancer diagnosis. My dad is the person I love most in the world and I feel so lost without him.

My brother lives abroad so i am trying to support my mum the best I can whilst also trying to navigate my own grief. I don’t feel like I have anyone in my life who understands the magnitude of my grief. Its very disorientating.

I have found the people on this site very understanding.

Xx

2 Likes

Hi @Vix1 I’m so sorry that you’re grieving for your dad. I lost mine in January and the pain is so intense and debilitating. Once you’ve got through the shock and the weeks of planning for the funeral, that’s when the permanence hits and I’m finding that harder than anything. When I look at photos of my dad looking absolutely fine last September, I just can’t process that he is gone forever and if I live another 50 years I’ll never see him, talk to him or hear his voice ever again. It’s literally unbearable and makes me so anxious & fearful as well as distraught.
Im sorry I can’t offer any words of encouragement at this stage but I promise there are many people on here in the same boat as you, and their stories and support will make you feel less alone.
Take care of yourself and post whenever you need to vent
Jack x

Hi @Katherine86
Thank you for your reply. So sorry for the loss of your dad. Both our dads obviously played a big part in our lives.
I feel that I didn’t understand the immensity of grief until it happened to myself. This site and the people on it seem very understanding and supportive.
Take Care
Vicky xx

1 Like

Hi @Jack3 ,
Thank you for your reply. I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. My dad also passed away in January. I for some reason thought once the funeral had been planned and taken place that that would be the worse part however like yourself I am now coming to terms with the permanence of it all and the fact that I’m not going to be able to share with him what happens in my life or the little jokes we had together. It feels so surreal and is like a different level of pain.
Vicky xx

1 Like

My Dad died 5 weeks ago, and gosh it’s so much tougher than I expected. He died from cancer, and although I had 6 months to prepare for his death, I still have an awful feeling of shock that he’s no longer here. I spent his last morning with him, popped out to get a few things and then got the phone call about 20 minutes later that he’d gone. It feels like months in some ways and then moments in others. I don’t think that we’re ever fully prepared for losing someone so important to us. I miss him desperately. You’re not the only one feeling like this x

Hi @GalaxyGirl, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. I agree that nothing can prepare us for such a loss no matter how much time we have. Our dads have played such a big part in our lives. My dad had parkinsons and I spent a lot of my time when I wasn’t working helping him with things. I am unsure what to do with myself now he has gone but I know he would want me to get out and do things.
Take care
Vicky xx