Missing my Dad

Hi, I’m new here and it’s taken a lot for me to join and post. I lost my Dad last year in June 2022. I’m struggling so much, I miss him dreadfully every day and trying to help my mum through it. Nobody knows how I’m feeling as I don’t let on, to everyone else it looks like I’m coping and dealing with it well but I’m not. I have a fantastic supportive husband and 2 wonderful children but I can’t help feeling every day that there is no point in life, I’d hate for them to know I feel this way but I can’t help it. I carry on day to day because I have to but if I didn’t then I don’t think I’d even get out of bed. Any advice on how to overcome these feelings would be gratefully received xx

3 Likes

Hi @JudyK , my lovely dad died in September. I know how painful it is, I had an amazing relationship with my dad and I’m heartbroken. I know I will never be the same again.
I too have a supportive husband & kids also fantastic friends but most days all I want is my dad.
I try to find some happiness each day In little things like if the sun shines or a walk outside. I find being alone on a walk really helps and sometimes feel that dad is with me which is a comfort. I know he’d want me to be happy & make the most of my life which is what I’m trying to do. I think it’s important to remember there are no rules and losing your dad is huge, I try to take one day at a time & feel grateful for each day and week that I’m managing to survive without him.

4 Likes

Hi Judy, I’m so sorry you’re going through this pain too. I lost my dad in January and the agony is relentless. I find posting and reading on here helpful as there are so many lovely, friendly and eloquent people going through the same thing and describing it so well, so I hope it helps you too. Ultimately we just have to survive each day, each hour, the best way we can. Sometimes for me that means staying in bed and crying, sometimes I can go out and function at a basic level. But I know this pain is permanent and I’ll just have to find a way of adapting to it. We’re going through the worst time of our lives and sometimes it seems too hard to keep going, but somehow we find a way.
Keep posting, and look after yourself. Jack x

6 Likes

So sorryto hear of your loss. There are no wordstgat can help at times. I will say however sad, lost or grief stricken you are you will find a way through. I have days i get through fine and then others the bereavement is overwhelming. For me i took solace in my memories of happier times, found joy in some new hobbies which for a short while each helps me cope with my loss. Wishing you well and sending hugs your way. Xx

2 Likes