Music...

Just listening to the radio - this song by Kylie:

Music’s too sad without you
The silence is all I can listen to now
I can’t sing along to the songs like I used to
The music’s too sad now you’re not around…

For along time after losing my husband I couldn’t listen to music at all. Now however, I’m listening to the words in every song searching , searching for words to suit my mood and yearning.

Sending love to you all. Xx

Hi Kate
I think songs are often just musical poems. I had thought of compiling a “Soundtrack of our life” as a play list.
A couple of days ago I heard a song from my past and it stopped me from moving. I was at a Christmas Market and just rooted to the spot. When I got home I searched for it online and I’ve played it over and over again. There are lots of versions on YouTube sung by Rock Choirs. The song is “Keeping the Dream Alive” by Freiheit and I think it feels so apt.
I love Country music and I’ve always been folkie. Lots of songs about love and loss which have a guaranteed effect on me.

I agree, songs are musical poems YorkshireLad. I’ve just listened to the song you mentioned and yup, it made me tearful but that’s ok.

My husband enjoyed country music although it’s not my choice. One of my favourites however, is ‘I Drove All Night’ by Roy Orbison and I’ve played it a lot recently.

I think it’s a great idea to compile a ‘Soundtrack of your life’. I have started to put together a book of poetry which could include songs) including some from this forum.

Thanks YorkshireLad. xx

I’m a great fan of the Big O and love that song and many of his others. I thought it was great when he helped form the Travelling Wilburys and listen to their music frequently. Like poetry or Art, music can be soul food. Much depends on how receptive you feel to it as it certain effects can’t always be replicated.
Two more songs that have even deeper meaning now are guaranteed to bring tears now are:
Elvis singing “Always on my mind” from funeral day.
Voice of the Valleys “Home” which is The Fron singing with Will Martin. It was always a favourite song of my wife but now extra special as it was playing as she took her last breath. She sang in a choir and loved great choir singing. This is a case where a great song has the ability to reach out and touch me. It was only afterwards that I appreciated how significant the words were. I wonder still if the words carried her “home”.

I don’t speak Italian but some of the great arias seem to hit the spot without me having known what story they tell.
I’ve a favourite Gaelic song which I do know what it’s about.
I think in the version sung by Karen Matheson it just drips emotion. It’s called Crucan Na bPaiste. I’d suggest listening to it first and then googling the lyrics.

I’ve just been listening to Enya - If I Could Be Where You Are. She sings so beautifully…

Good morning YorkshireLad. I found Crucan Na bPaiste. It’s so moving. I was expecting it to be Italian but it’s Gaelic, even better. The Irish sing so passionately as in Enya above. I’ve also just listened to ‘Jealous of the angels’ which apparently featured on morning TV today. That’s me done for today, no more music - I’m a physical wreck after that lot. Haven’t cried this much for a while. Is it good to cry? I’m not sure. I always feel so crap after. Xx

I like Enya. She is very clever, like a female Mike Oldfield with a much better voice. The rest of her family are pretty good as well… Clannad. Also great fan of Dolores O 'Riordan, Corrs, Van the Man…
… You get the message.

Listen to this by Enya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpwWSFEvEY

If I Could Be Where You Are
Enya
Where are you this moment?
Only in my dreams.
You’re missing, but you’re always
A heartbeat from me.
I’m lost now without you,
I don’t know where you are.
I keep watching, I keep hoping,
But time keeps us apart.
Is there a way I can find you,
Is there a sign I should know,
Is there a road I could follow
To bring you back home?
Winter lies before me
Now you’re so far away.
In the darkness of my dreaming
The light of you will stay.
If I could be close beside you
If I could be where you are
If I could reach out and touch you
And bring you back home
Is there a way I can find you
Is there a sign I should know
Is there a road I can follow
To bring you back home to me?

I found I listedned to the same songs again and again after losing my Mum, must have driven my neighbours mad if they could hear. What I Did For Love from A Chorus Line, Alone Again Naturally by Gilbert O’Sullivan, Stardust by Nat King Cole. The last is one of my very favourite songs especially Nat King Cole’s version.

I was browsing on YouTube one day and found For All We Know sung by the Ray Conniff Singers. It brought my Mum flooding back to me as she used to listen to Radio 2 and Ray Moore always played that when he went on holiday. I searched further and found I almost preferred the Matt Monro version.

I have expanded my listening now and always have a burst of Smooth radio on Sunday evenings which is a bit more my era of disco and Motown.

I’ve just listened to it and I’m so glad I waited until nobody else was with me. It pushed my crumple button and maybe I wanted it to. It’s been that sort of day.

I think we need to have a good cry occasionally - we do so much holding back. Our ‘crumple button’ doesn’t take much pushing sometimes but I can’t believe anyone in our position could stay dry eyed to that Enya track. She sings it so beautifully with the voice of an angel. Xx

One of the things about walking at a low level in the Lakes is it’s busy, particularly on a weekend, and I had a lot of holding back today. So much that I have a sore throat.

On the same Enya album is “I could never say goodbye”. Had a very similar effect on me.

Absolutely YorkshireLad - I’ve just bought the album.

I haven’t been able to listen to music since my wife passed 7 weeks ago. But today I was driving back from a fare I dropped off at Stansted. I thought right grab the bull by the horns and listen. I put on Spotify and chose one of our songs from dirty dancing she’s like the wind, needless to say I was in bits then I put on another of our songs all about you by mcfly. Absolutely done by then so I thought enough I’m to upset. So I turned of Spotify and went back to the radio and the song playing on the radio was she’s like the wind. Our song playing again. I couldn’t turn it off as I think Denise was saying it’s OK to listen to music love. be sad if you want but don’t stop listening. I think that’s probably our best connection xxx

Musick hath charms to soothe a savage breast. (William Congreve)