My youngest sister has passed away

My sister passed away just over a week ago and I’m devastated.

She’d been in kidney and heart failure for a while, but developed pneumonia at Christmas and was taken into hospital. We were told she wouldn’t last 24 hours, 3 weeks on, we got her home where she lasted another week until she passed.

Those weeks were the most traumatic of my life, seeing her fear, her pain, her fighting. Shouting for our late parents, crying that she didn’t want to die. I never want to see or hear anything like that again. As a family, we made sure she was never alone, she was the baby of the family. She was only 50 with a husband and 4 sons, the youngest only 10.
I haven’t cried, I’m scared to.
How can I support her husband and sons when I can barely function myself. I can’t sleep without medication, my mind is just a jumble of loss, grief, trauma and heartbreaking sadness that overwhelms me constantly.
In the last 6 years or so, I’ve lost both my parents and 2 very close friends. Those were hard to deal with but this is tearing me apart and I don’t know how I’m supposed to handle it.

1 Like

Hello @Chelmakk, I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. It sounds like you’ve had such a lot of loss to cope with in the past few years. Losing a sibling is devastating, and may be especially difficult the baby of the family.

You are still in the very early days of grief. I just want to reassure that the feelings you are experiencing are normal, and you are not alone.

You have said that you don’t know how to handle it. I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share some Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you to cope with your grief.

Please keep reaching out - we are here for you.

Seaneen

1 Like

Thank you, I do try to practice mindfulness, but right now my head won’t stop reeling. I’ll keep trying though, I really need to find some way of processing everything.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my message X