NEWS HEADLINES RE CORONA VIRUS

I have just read the latest headlines, the over 70’s will have to isolate themselves for four months when the new law is brought in by Boris Johnson, in a couple of weeks.
The army will be on the streets as well.
I honestly do not know where this will end. For myself I am not bothered, I always said that when Peter died, death does not bother me anymore but I am worried for our family in fact every one’s family, not having jobs to go to, their businesses failing, even though they are still in the age group where the virus may not do much harm to them it still means that they won’t have money coming into the family to pay mortgages and bills. Our daughter in law has her own hairdressing business and her customers are now stopping going but she still has rates to pay etc, and no income coming in anymore.

1 Like

Dear Sadme,
I totally agree, as far as I am concerned, I would like to carry on as usual and I honestly cannot imagine being cooped up in my home for the next four months, Before long, there will be martial law on the streets and looters will be shot, it is like the apocalypse out there and I honestly do not think there is any need for any of this.
My main worry is our families, not because they may get the virus but because they may not have jobs or a life as they knew it to get back to after it has all blown over due to people being panic stricken by what they have read in the papers.
I remember the Asian 'flu inn 1957 and the 'flu that came after, yes many people died but but I cannot remember the panic like it is now and this is now all down to the media and having computers etc. so the news is shoved down our throats every single second.
Sheila.x

3 Likes

Dear Lonely, I agree with everything you’ve written and I can’t see a need for such measures either. I’m just very thankful I’m not quite 70 as I couldn’t imagine staying in isolation for so long, without my husband any more life just wouldn’t be worth the effort of keeping going. I wonder how many very elderly and limited healthwise people might just give up or become anorexic because they can’t be bothered to eat.

Dear Akhenaten, I have just received my Iceland order, half of the items missing, BUT, I received every single Slimming World Frozen ready meal. I thought I would give it a go as I always buy Marks and Spencer’s food but I cannot get to the stores now as I am one of those at risk people, the ridiculous thing is, I don’t give a damn whether I get the virus or not as life without Peter means nothing,but I am doing it so I won’t be a burden on our family and the NHS if I am taken ill, so I will do as I am told and stay put. I could not get any yogurts, so I have reverted to making my own, Easiyo yogurt mixes, you get 1 Kg of Yogurt (10 servings) out of a packet for the same price you would pay for six Muller ones and they are healthy for you too. I have ordered all different flavours and they are so thick and gorgeous. I think many of us, now living alone, have always made sure we have plenty of the basics in since we lost our husbands in case we were taken ill. I now make my own bread (I have a bread making machine), when baked, I cut it in half and freeze half of it.
We just have to make the best of it, I honestly do not think this is any worse than losing my husband, nothing can be worse than that.
Have to go, my homemade pea soup is ready.

Love
Sheila.x

1 Like

You are spot on Sheila, nothing is as bad as the loss of our Husbands. If we can get through that we can get through anything. I have plenty food, I still shop for two can’t get my head round it being just me now :cry: I feel like I have been in isolation since Colin died anyway so it’s nothing new to be honest.
Enjoy your soup :+1:
V xx

2 Likes

Dear V,
Just what I have been doing over the last five years, but I ensure I have enough food in in case I go ill, which proved I was doing the right thing last year when I was ill for three weeks and had to cancel a Christmas holiday, luckily, I had plenty of food and drink in so I was fine.
I also make my own bread but getting flour , yogurts and fresh fruit is difficult because I can’t go to the supermarkets as I have underlying health conditions, but it looks as though from Monday we will be locked down anyway. I have started making my own yogurt, I did this years ago and I have a machine.Our sons tried to get me some paracetamol and fresh fruit yesterday but everything had gone.They have their own things to get for their family as well so it means them going separate times, once for their shopping and then for mine. I try not to bother them now.
Please take care.
Love
Sheila.x

Hi Sheila, I agree having to stay in must be so frustrating. As I am fit and well and not showing any symptoms I am just Self Isolating myself which means that I still go out for walks and to my allotment and just keep the required distance advised and keeping away from groups of people.
I looked up self Isolation to make sure I was doing everything right and as I have no symptoms I am allowed to go walking/running, walk the dogs, do shopping, meet relatives or friends as long as not in a group and of course keep the required distance.
Which at least is bearable. I think having to stay isolated is going to cause many more problems which apparently China are now having. Mental Health.
I have freezers full of fruit and veg and cooked meals so not too worried at the moment, I won’t starve, not yet anyway.
Well done on the pea soup… I also cook my own soups /stews, and many other things and freeze, very nutritious and healthy. You are doing well.
Pat xxx

Thank you Pat,
I cannot go anywhere due to medical problems, BUT, I will be okay, nothing will ever be as bad as losing my Peter.
Love
Sheilax

2 Likes

Hi Sheila, your right there. What can possibly compare, we have already been through the worst nightmare possible. I think I would have serious health problems if I had to stay in the house all the time. Having dogs I am going out for my walks with them but taking the correct measures to keep isolated, plus having to stay local. Things seem much the same as normal here so haven’t noticed much difference. Went to the recreation ground this afternoon and there was boys playing football, children playing, dog walkers and a runner. Hope you are getting out into your garden and getting some fresh air. PLUS I Don’t watch the news or read papers anymore, burying my head I’m afraid…
Pat xxx

Pat I told my counsellor that the virus didn’t freak me out as I’ve been through worse. What would be awful if my dad who has lung disease got it. So that does worry me. And the staying in all the time doesn’t feel me with joy

Hi Jooles. I think that will be the case we will be worrying more about other family members that might be at risk and I can understand that you are going to be concerned about your Dad, but then we are at risk every winter with the flu, Nova virus and many other illnesses floating around. Never quite seen such panic and I am continuing very much as normal, but of course taking the necessary precautions to protect myself and others and am also isolated from my family, unless they need my help… My understanding when I looked into it to make sure I was doing the right things was that self isolation didn’t mean shutting yourself in the house all the time . It was advised that exercise and fresh air was very important to your overall health, it did mean isolating yourself from groups of people and keeping the correct distance. All this if you don’t have any signs of the virus. It was also the same advice for children who was going out to play. I see that you are not expected to call 111 anymore if you think you have it. Advice is to self medicate at home for 7/14 days which seems the same as any other winter cold/flu advice.
xxxx

Dear Pat,
I know what you mean, I know what is happening in the world today is terrible but I just don’t seem to be worrying about it, I am taking it in my stride and doing what I normally do, apart from going out now I am isolating myself, but it is not bothering me not going out because since Peter died, I stopped going out as much as it was no fun on my own.
I am frustrated with the lack of support from our sons as yesterday I got a text message from our daughter in law, begging me to buy garden toys for our 2 year old grandson, I have given them money, left, right and centre since Peter died and they still want more, I think they think I am their own personal bank.
I went to bed at 8 pm last night and have just got up to make a cup pf tea. I have a terrible pain in my ribs under my bosom on the right hand side and that is what woke me up so I have taken two tablets and hope it helps.
Please take care.
Love
Sheila.x

I’m 69 and three quarters, so I have three months to stockpile toilet rolls and pasta.
I’ve told my employer that I’m not coming in for a while, am looking forward to getting on with some jobs in the house and garden, and a bit of peace and quiet.
I can pay my bills, have cancelled the papers, and turned the TV off.
I can’t do any more to help stop the spread of the virus, so I’m not worrying about it.
Back to the simple life.

1 Like

I like your thinking Jaldi :+1:

I hope you’re feeling better this morning Sheila xx

Dear jaidi,
To be quite truthful, that is the best way to look at it because we can’t do anything else.
xx

Dear Kate,
Yes, thank you very much, going to sit in the garden.
I was annoyed yesterday, I got a text from our daughter in law, she had not even got the courtesy to ring me, She said, because of these difficult times, (they have only been at home for two weeks and are still getting paid their wages), she asked me to buy our two years old grandson some garden toys for summer.
When I think of the many, many, many, thousands of pounds I have given them both since Peter died, I was to be truthful, gobsmacked. I am always buying our grandson toys and clothes. I have become a bank for them and I am sick of it. Stupid me, went online and bought the toys.
xx

Fortunately, it’s another beautiful day Sheila, so enjoy your garden. As for your daughter in law, until you start saying NO, they’ll keep asking. Sorry to be brutal but think of yourself for a change. Make this the last thing you buy them. Sheila rules! Ok! :fist::ok_hand::+1::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Xx

Dear Kate,
I will.

Sheila.x