No support at all.

Well, it is Mother’s day.
Our sons came to see me today with their partners (kept their distance).
I asked them if they could get me some Frozen Vegetables of fresh vegetable when they visit the supermarket.
I was told that they cannot get enough food for themselves never mind me as all the shelves were empty. Our daughter in law then asked me to bake her a loaf of bread for next week and she will pick it up as there is no bread on the shelves.
They brought me a box of chocolates, which I know I gave them for Christmas in their Christmas hamper I had made up for them, as I had underlined the use by dates on all the products, because when there is a lot of food, use by dates sometimes get missed.
I give up, I really do. Her mother still has her husband and her 30 odd year old son living at home with them so they are okay but I am on my own and isolated.
I just do not know where this will end, but at the moment, I have enough food in and enough coming via online shopping at private shops.
Love to all, keep safe.
Sheila.x

hi Sheila
its hard to believe some families can be so thoughtless.sorry they treat you like this.
I wouldn’t be baking any bread thats for sure tell them queue at the bakery.

to you and all the mothers out there,without all their love and nurturing we wouldn’t be here.hope this is ok Sheila x

2 Likes

Sheila
Words fail me yet again and i hope you ask them not to visit you again until this crisis is over. They get far more out of their visit than you ever do.
How I wish my mum was still here. She would get the last of my everything and I would have gone without.
Dont be asking them any bread. I am fit and healthy and either queue at my supermarket at 5.30 am or drive to as many as I need until I find supplies.
And that is what your sons and their families should be doing for you.
Cheryl x

Thank you so much, our eldest son came and brought me a gorgeous basket of flowers and a card, he does ring me to make sure I am okay, it is our younger son that is always on the take, looking round my house for something to take home with him, our eldest son plays hell about it.
He can’t take anything now as he isn’t allowed near me due to isolation but he still asks for stuff.
xx

1 Like

Sheila,
They could have driven around until they found some veg. That could have been a good Mothers day gift, under the present circumstances.
I’d been inclined to tell sister in law to make her own bread by googling an online reciepe.

I should be so lucky, I won’t see anyone now for awhile even though they are at home. I have a roofer coming on Monday to put my ridge tile back.
xxxx

1 Like

That is so sweet and thoughtful Ian :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so very much jianye, how thoughtful of you.
I have been in the garden this afternoon and put up my garden swing and also got out the garden chairs and table, don’t know why as no-one will becoming but at least I can make it as normal as possible. It is going to be a long, lonely summer for so many of us but I think myself lucky, I have a gorgeous home, no money worries thanks to my Peter who should be here with me, fit and healthy and then nothing would ever matter again but he isn’t here with me and so I send my love to you and every one one the forums, please keep safe and well.
Love
Sheila.xx

3 Likes

Dear Sheila,
I’m glad to hear you are safe and well. Enjoy the lovely weather.
Love
Janet xx

Thank you my love, will do and you do too.
Please stay safe.

xxx

1 Like

(Post removed by author, will be automatically deleted in 336 hours. Deleted by accident? Click the flag button or email online.community@sueryder.org to request it re-published.)

your welcome.Sheila and very nice that your eldest son showed you some much needed love.
regards ian x

your welcome Kate

Hello Sheila
Hope to don’t mind this second message I have just read your very sad message which
was on Mother’s Day, I was quite surprised with your Son’s response on Months Day, When
my Mother was alive I gave her the best I could and the best of attention in return for the
many years of support she had given me, her wish was my command.
I just thought Sheila I to respond to your most unhappy Month’s Day.
Good night and again God Bless you had a peaceful future.
Bryan XXXX

(Post removed by author, will be automatically deleted in 336 hours. Deleted by accident? Click the flag button or email online.community@sueryder.org to request it re-published.)

Hi Bryan,

We were all out clapping in the street tonight at 8 pm, it brought tears to my eyes as I can remember the late 1940’s, mum, dad, my sister and myself sat on the garden wall and every other neighbour was sitting out as well, just talking because it was so hot and we could not sleep. One of the older boys and his friend used to collect the money and go up the street to the local fish and chip shop and bring back fish and chips with bits (scraps), covered in salt and vinegar and wrapped in newspaper for all the street. It is funny what something that happened tonight can bring back memories of so long ago.
Sheila.xx

1 Like

Hello Sheila
Read your message several times, yes I was out last night shouting and clapping
3 cheers for our wonderful National Health Service staff who preform a fantastic
task and they do it 24 hours a day 7days of the week and do not seek any rewards.
Then we have those selfish centred people who rob (over fill their baskets) the
food the N H S staff urgently need after long hours at their place of operation.
I have to say sadly that in the row of 10 bungalows only one other neighbour
appeared on the steps… I felt like going to bang on their doors and say get out
here.
You are the first lady/person to mention (for many years), and I had to
read your message several times because it recalled many many
happy memories of the 1940’s/50’s/60’s. regarding the fish and chips
period and the crispy bits, when my brother and I went to the chippy
for the family fish & chips the man in the shop would put some
crispy bits in a bag and we would eat them on the way home.
Sitting on the garden walls seem to be social fashion in that period,
in those days the clocks went forward 2 hours (to help the farmers)
when they changed which meant we could sit out until maybe 11 00 pm.
Mind you my Mum would only allow that one day a week (Friday)
otherwise we would be in bed at 7 00pm.
On reflection neighbours were more sociable then in my present
experience they stay behind locked doors.
You know Sheila that as you say one item can recall a early time
period when life was so different.
Another period I have recalled from one of the messages was the
1957 problem, at the time I was in the armed forces living in a
tent in the Jordanian/Iraqi desert on convoy duty and I only knew
about the situation in letters from my Mother.
Well Sheila I congratulate you as I have said you have recalled
many of my pasted memories, which I must admit I had
forgotten (age & time)
That’s all or now look, time for nice cup of coffee and a
choc biscuit.
Have a peaceful day.
Bryan xx

2 Likes

Dear Bryan,
I am so happy that my memories brought back happy memories for yourself. Do you remember the bonfires, everyone in the street ‘chumped’, looking for old trees, bits of wood and then we all sat around the fires, our mothers making ginger bread and potatoes being cooked on the fire until the skin turn black and we could just peel it off and eat the potato and the last thing to go on the fire, was the old scruffy settee that someone always seemed to find year after year. I remember when I was 9 in 1952, some boys, chasing me into an outside toilet and throwing jumping jack fireworks in and I was stood on the toilet seat whilst they jumped and banged away, I can remember so much, going out to the horse and cart milk man with a metal jug whilst he scooped milk from big metal urns into it, I took it back to my mum and she let it stand and then scooped off all the cream from the top and put it into a bottle so we could shake it and make cheese.
I had a fantastic childhood and a wonderful life with my Peter so I cannot ask for more than that.
Love
Sheila.

1 Like

Hello Sheila
Thanks for your lovely message. Yes Sheila I have had a fantastic life with a one and only
beautiful lady, even today I say out loud in the bedroom. there for the “Grace of God” go I
when I see couples.not getting on together, Near the END Patricia said to me each day
“Bryan, You’ll never walk a alone”
Memories of the 1940s in W W 11 are of a family who spent many nights in the air raid shelter in
the road, one morning we came out, and the house was no longer there so we were
evacuated to MId Wales, nr Welshpool for 3 years. We spent many happy hours on
a farm, the farmer had 10 milking cows, the milk was put in large stainless steel trays
then skimmed, then every Tuesday they would make their own butter, Wednesday
would be cheese day, Thursday would bake their bread had a large oven in the kitchen, grew their own wheat then take it to the miller for flour Had pigs for their bacon and hens for their eggs, grew their own veg.
Had to hand pump their water from a well and no inside loos (outside down the yard),
oh no electric, oil lamps and a tin bath in front of a fire when everybody had gone to BED.
Therefore only the basics but the food and people were excellent, local bus three
times a week. Oh no bonfires.
Sunday the whole village went to church, Sunday night would be spent preparing
clothes for Monday market day which again everybody went. Quite a different life
from town life.
The bonfires in our road were a big occasions we would start just after summer stack
the trees and wood on gardens sheds because some people would come around at night to
steal, then near the night we would make up the fire then spend nights on guard, we had
some old iron sheets of steel and made a hut, like a home from home, oh the girls would
join in, ask Mother for potatoes make a fire and watch the pots turn black, if we were lucky
maybe a bag o crisps oh ask for a fork from the kitchen. Then on the big night all the family
would be around and again out came potatoes, my mother would also make a pan of roast
potatoes, we would then stay there to near mid night, it was a grand old night. everybody
very friendly.
I seem to rabbit on so I will say cheerio, take care of care of yourself as your Peter would and
remember he is watching and guarding you 24 hours a day. Have a peaceful day.
Bryan XXXX

1 Like

Dear Bryan,
That sounds wonderful. Our dad had a small holding with chickens and a nanny goat .He also grew all his own vegetables and used the bath water from the tin bath to water them with, we never had any problems with insects. we also had cockerills and turkeys around Christmas time and he would ring the turkeys neck and out mum would pluck them and get them ready for Xmas day, I remember going in the pantry once when I was small and something grabbed my cardigan, I ran out screaming with a ‘waiting to be plucked’ turkey hanging from my cardigan by its claws. I can shut my eyes and see it as plain as day.
I still have my Peters ashes at home, he is waiting for me to join him so we can have our ashes scattered together, together in life, together in death.
I always say good morning love and goodnight love to him, I sometimes forget he is no longer here and say, just popping into the garden love to hang out the washing.
After five years without him, it is still a habit I cannot get out of because as far as I am concerned he will be with me in our home until we are together again.
Love
Sheila.x

3 Likes