One day at a time

I lost my husband on the 11th May. He was knocked over and killed. He managed 12 days in hospital on life support but never regained consciousness.
Ive got his funeral next week, i think im still in denial! Just thinking that hes going ro walk through the door at any moment. We have 2 boys 21 and 16, this happened 2 days before my sons 16th birthday, which was a bitter blow!
I feel like in foing through the motion’s, the nights are the hardest. I still sniff his dressing gown every night as it still smells of him. God i miss him so much. We were together 25 years. How do we do life without our other half. We had so many plans now the kids are older, which are now gone. Life is s**t at times.

9 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. What a shock for you and your family. My heart goes out to you.
I lost my husband on the 26th March suddenly, cardiac arrest then on life support for 2 days. We were together 35 years. Miss him terribly.
I can relate to expecting him to walk through the door and having plans set out.
It is so unfair what life puts on us .
I hope you and your children have lots of support.
There is lots of support on here too. I have found it has helped me to get through some days.
Sending hugs to you x

3 Likes

@KatyC . I am so sorry for loss. This horrible grief is so consuming. In the early days you are in shock. I am 11 weeks into this horrible journey and i will never understand why he died from a cardiac arrest whilst out cycling. He was not overweight and pretty fit. I keep saying i dont understand it and i never will. Sending you love and strength.

5 Likes

Thankyou @Lou33 sending a hug right back at you, but as we both know there is only one person we want that hug from…much love x

3 Likes

@Freefaller thankyou for your lonely comment. Thats the million dollar question isnt it why? What if? We will never be able to answer it. Sending lots of love x

1 Like

Aw you poor thing ! Thats so sad :pensive: i did same with my husbands dressing gown too and i wear it every day … its so hard isnt it when you miss them so much. Day at a time, or even an hour at a time. Take care xxx

2 Likes

No youre right ! It doesn’t make any sense any of this pain we are all going through ! It seems to happen to all the wrong people who should still be here !!!:frowning: xx

2 Likes

Such a tragic loss for you all to cope with. The early days are incredibly hard. Coming to terms with losing him, the way you lost him and losing your future together and the plans you’ve made.
It will all seem so hard and impossible right now but somehow you will get through each hour, then each day, then each week. 20 weeks for me and the sudden loss of my life as I knew it.

Those early days were unbearable but it has got better for me and the days are lighter and tears don’t flow all the time. I embrace the bad days but I appreciate the good ones.

By biggest life saver was my family, friends and this site. Everyone in here is on their own personal journey but we all know and feel the loss and can completely understand what you are going through.

This site enables you to share any and all thoughts, no matter how dark, angry or scary. We have either been through it, going through it or begining the journey.

Best of wishes to you and your boys .
Ali

3 Likes

Thankyou @Ali29 for your kind words, sending hugs your way x

2 Likes

Dear KatyC, I am so sorry for your loss. Life can be so cruel. I still cannot believe that my husband is not coming back to me although I have his urn upstairs. Sending you lots of love, hugs, and strength for next week especially.

2 Likes

Thankyou @Annaessex it really is the hardest thing in the world, thankyou for your message x

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss and pain, and I can totally understand the feeling of denial.

I lost my husband five weeks ago after a tragic accident at home. He fell but his injuries meant there was nothing that could be done and 36 hours later we had to make the terrible decision to withdraw life support. He was 59, just days away from his 60th birthday. We lost him in the blink of an eye. I still haven’t and can’t process that he’s gone.

I can’t move any of his things, everything is how he left them.

It’s all the “what ifs” that keep going through my head and the excruciating pain thinking about all the things he will no longer be here for.

It really does feel like an hour by hour existence

1 Like

Hi @Stowie, im so sorry for your loss. I dont think the denial that he is gone will ever go away. It truly is the worst feeling in the world. My husbands clothes are still hanging over the wardrobe door, were he left them the day before the accident. I dont know about you but not only am i grieving for the loss of him but the loss of who i was when he was here. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of friends and family who have looked after me and i have out boy’s. I start my counselling on Tuesday. There are no words to this shit (excuse my french) that we find ourselves in. In the early days i was taking it hour by hour, but now its day by day. Im keeping myself busy constantly. Sending you lots of love and hope xx

1 Like