Physical symptoms of grief

One of the things that people often don’t know about grief, is that it can cause physical symptoms as well as emotional ones, for example:

• Aches and pains
• Problems sleeping
• Lack of energy
• Changes in appetite
• Being more prone to bugs and illnesses

What physical symptoms have you experienced? Do you have any tips on coping with them?

Read more about coping with bereavement

All of these being experienced!

In terms of the appetite I make my own soup as find that very comforting and easy to eat. I find making it cathartic as well and enjoyable. Nice smell in the house as well.

I have a bath with soothing bath oil or bubble bath every night, usually quite early in the evening and go to bed early even if I can’t sleep.

I wake up very early and if I haven’t got to get up for work make myself tea or a coffee and take it back to bed and relax for half an hour. This really worked when my Father passed away many years ago, Mum and I used to lie and chat together in her bed until getting up time. It seems to be helping now I have lost Mum.

Would really welcome any tips from others.

Mel.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing your tips and letting people know what works for you.

Go and see a friend with a pet if you can, stroking the pet be it dog or cat is very soothing, see if someone would let you take their dog for a walk you will always get someone talking to you even if it is just a hello.

1 Like

I keep going through stages where I think my heart is going to stop. I’ve seen how suddenly it can and now think that will happen to me.

I remember when my Dad died, I was feeling sick for days afterwards and I didn’t feel like eating anything, which just made me feel worse because I couldn’t concentrate at school. I think, as hard as it is, it’s vital to look after yourself when you’re grieving. Doing something for yourself each day is nice, just to relax, like having a bath, cooking a nice meal, reading a book etc.

1 Like