Really struggling

My husband fell on the 5 th dec 2020 and sustained traumatic brain injury. Me and our two girls were not allowed to see him in intensive care for the two weeks due to covid restrictions. We were allowed to say goodbye on the 19th dec when his life support was turned off. He was a fit, well 52 year old . Our lives are devastated. Thankyou for reading

5 Likes

I am so sorry. My 50 year old husband went for a run, collapsed and died. We never got chance to say goodbye. We are left reeling in shock. Every day is exhausting to get through. Yesterday was obviously even worse. I am just taking it a breath at a time - it’s all we can do. Sending hugs

3 Likes

Thankyou for replying. I have two daughters 22 and 24 fathers day so hard as i am sure you found it. Although its been 6 months now the pain of losing Jonathan is more intense. I am 52 and i am sure you are the same thought we would grow old together. Grieving for the things he will miss aswell x

I am sorry that you find yourself and your family on this painful journey.

I lost my husband in September following a road traffic accident. We have an adult daughter and son and two little grandsons - one destined never to meet his granda. Father’s Day was so hard and our daughter’s birthday is also approaching.

The plan was for me to retire at Christmas 2020 so that we could start our retirement together. We had worked all our lives and were looking forward to this. I have given up work, not capable of functioning for myself most days. All our plans lie in pieces and despite our friends (who all have their partners) telling me they can still be realised this will and can never be the case.

I struggle through each day for our kids and grandsons. I merely have an existence in a world I no longer recognise and try to avoid as much as possible without my husband by my side.

3 Likes

Yes - we were just beginning to enjoy more time as a couple and it’s all been taken away. All of our hopes, plans and dreams. My wonderful life has just turned into an existence. Sending hugs

2 Likes

I absolutely cannot imagine your devastation. My husband died at home with me and it’s a comfort. My heart goes out to you and your family and to everyone who didn’t get the chance to say goodbye as I did. I know I was very fortunate but I miss him so much. Nearly 8 weeks now. Bless you all and I wish you strength to get through this trauma x

3 Likes

I am so sorry to each and every one of you that have lost of your soul mate. It’s been over a year since l lost my husband. He was a site manager at a school and forgot to do a quick job in the day so went back later that night with our daughter , she was 22 at the time. The last word he said to me was he couldn’t breath just before he collapsed. Our daughter worked on him the best she could why waiting for help. I try and put a face on every day for her, what she went through that night l can’t imagine. I didn’t even give him a last kiss because we weren’t aloud to see him because of Covid. He was 55. Al each and everyone of us can do without are soulmates now is take one day at a time and remember all the good times we had together. Love to you all Mandy x

3 Likes

Hi Mandy, what a terrible shock for you and your daughter but I hope that she remembers that if he had a chance of life, she gave it to him. I’m not particularly religious but I think that over all, the choice is not ours. Sending you both hugs x

1 Like

Thank you for your kind reply x

Hi,
I am sorry for your loss. My wife of 34 years died suddenly and unexpectedly in March. I saw her in the hospital and because I had to leave to go home to care for her mother who has dementia we never got a proper goodbye. We never left each other without saying I love you and that we did but I didn’t know she was going to die. She was airlifted to another hospital and they called and said her heart and lungs stopped and asked what I wanted them to do. I said do everything you can and they called 30 minutes later and said she was gone. I drove to the hospital to “see” her for closure but I couldn’t get over the fact I wasn’t there when she needed me most. Now I care for MIL all alone which is all that is keeping me going.

Hi. My husband fell last August in the kitchen and sustained a terrible brain injury, he underwent to big operations which left with them removing half his skull and he was unable to talk walk eat do anything for himself. We was not able to visit him due to covid which was unbearable. He got moved in January of this year to a nursing home and got covid and passed away on 14th January.
I know exactly how you are feeling not being able to see him tell him how you feel before he passed. Like your husband mine was very fit never I’ll and a stupid accident takes them away just like that. It is so unfair.
I am also finding it hard.
I hate my life now I get up go to work put a smile on my face for everyone but come home at night and break down. I
I feel for you and am sending you a big hug and strength xx

3 Likes

Really sorry for your loss. My partner Maria passed away on the 3rd July and I cannot cope with the grief and the reality that I will never see her again. I tried going back to work today but had to come back home. I live only as an existence and dread every minute of the next minute. Maria was a HCA and worked on a Covid ward during the first pandemic She died from multiple Myloma She was more than everything to me she was my whole world. She sorted everything.
This group is amazing and I’m so glad I found it. I am seeking professional help as I cannot carry on like this.
All the best to you
Simon.

1 Like

I am so so sorry for what you have been through. My husband also fell in hallway and banged his head sustaining traumatic brain injury. We were not allowed to visit him for two weeks due to covid. We were lucky that an anaesthetist who was compassionate and honest said we could come in and talk. He was honest and said Jon would never be able to talk, walk, severely brain damaged. Jon was a healthy 52 year old that loved his golf. We had been together since i was 18 and i knew he would not want to live like that. Ventilator was switched off and Jon died. Seven months on the grief is over whelming. So hard as you know when you cant say goodbye or have any conversation before. One min your life is ticking along the next a bomb devastates everything. Thinking of you, try and look after yourself, eat, try and rest :heart:

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss.
The part where you said your life was just ticking along resonates so much with me. And like you said it’s like a bomb going off. I have no idea what the future holds for me and at the moment it is a very dark world that just carries on whilst I stand still motionless
Take care

THank you for your lovely message and I am so sorry for your loss it’s horrendous isn’t it, I am even sat here with tears rolling down my face just writing this. I still can’t get over that just falling and knocking his head killed him and changed my life forever especially when you was not expecting it , it’s just so hard knowing that Richard will never walk back through the door ever again.
You will understand as the same thing as happened to you.
I am sending you my thoughts a hug and all my love xx

2 Likes