Recent Loss

I have recently lost my husband 7 weeks ago and recently found this forum and am relieved to find that I’m not alone with my feelings of grief which at the moment are overwhelming. I have never been alone at all during my life and do count myself lucky for this but am feeling scared for my future and now know the true meaning of being alone. My life will never be the same but I’m hopeful in time I will feel better and more able to cope. I will continue to come on this forum as I have already found it very helpful.

6 Likes

NonnyW, pleased you have found the site useful and it definitely tells you that you are not alone in your grief. Yes, it does take time to regain any sense of a life outside grief but out there life continues. The first few months there’s lots to do but then there’s short periods of nothingness which are dreadful. We learn to live with it knowing that our loved one will always be part of us. Please look after yourself and be proud of little steps along this road of grief. S xx

1 Like

Hello Nonny. I’m sorry for your loss. My husband died unexpectedly 6 weeks ago, 5 months after my mum, and like you I have never been on my own before. I’m still numb and not really sure what to do with myself or life will now take me.
I picked his ashes up from the funeral director today and they are in an urn on the sofa next to me. I keep looking at them and thinking, what on Earth just happened? The initial shock and chaos has subsided so now I just have to work out who I am. This site has been so helpful and helped me to realise that some how each one of us deals with the hole our loved ones leave in many different ways. A kind word or practical advice from those who are also on this journey makes all the difference. Look after you for now and do what you feel most comfortable doing. I find myself talking to my husband or my mum all the time. I’m sure I’m not the only one!

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies - we scattered my husband’s ashes last week - I felt happy that I had followed his wishes and he was where he wanted to be but it was the next day reality set in and the finality of it all. I’ve had quite a few days of isolation since but know that I must move forward and I’m going to take each day as it comes and hopefully will have some good days.

1 Like