Recently lost my wife of 20 years

Recently lost my wife while on holiday sorting the legal side has kept me busy i have a good job to go back to when I’m ready but have an empty feeling i have never felt what do i do i appreciate this is new to me but how long does it last

It’s impossible to say how long “it” will last as it depends how much it hurts. It might be that your pain lasts for ever but unlikely that it will remain at the same level. It’s not like an illness that can be cured but it may be that it can be managed and that you learn to cope by becoming involved by things that distract you. There isn’t a single model of grief and so it’s difficult to compare yourself against a norm. It would probably help to read this forum regularly as you should find it informative and particularly supportive.

Hello Morgan. My sincere condolences. I can only reiterate that which YorkshireLad has said. It’s impossible to say how long it will last. I know my grief will last forever. It’s been over 16 months now since I lost my husband and it still hurts like hell. However, I can now smile and laugh even but grief comes in waves and sometimes I am overwhelmed with sadness and despair. My husband was the love of my life and I miss him so much. Of course you feel empty, this thing is massive. As YorkshireLad said, grief is not a problem to be solved, it’s something we have to learn to live with, it’s something we have to carry with us. You will get a great deal of help, comfort and support from this forum. My thoughts are with you xx