Relationship changes with parent left behind

I know this probably sounds mad but has anyone lost a parent and then their relationship with the remaining parent become so different ( but in a good way ? )
I feel like i’m trying to cope with the death of one parent and the new better relationship with the other ?
Not that its a struggle as the new relationship is so much better but my head is so confused

2 Likes

Hi @Lost19, I’m just giving this a gentle bump for you :blue_heart:

Hi lost19, I lost my dad 4 weeks ago who I had an amazing relationship with. I am now having to support my mum & feel like I’m the parent now as she is struggling so much. I’m feeling resentment towards her as I feel I can’t grieve & process things as I’m having to be there for her every day.
My relationship with her was never the strong bond I had with my dad, he did everything for her & I now feel I am having to replace him in her life which I don’t want to do but have to as I am her only daughter. She was never a mixer & doesn’t have any real friends & didn’t belong to any clubs so it’s very difficult

3 Likes

Im sorry to jump in here. But ive recently lost my dad and am going through exactly what you have just described. It gave me a bit of comfort knowing im not the only one. So i hope it gives you the same. Sorry for your loss xxxx

I can understand why youd be confused. But i suppose its better to have a better relationship than a worse one. Sorry for your loss and all the best xxxx

I find I’m in the same situation as you describe, it’s difficult isn’t it. My dear dad passed away end of September and it’s all still pretty raw