(Semi) Hidden grief

I’ve read a number of posts now but nothing about gay relationships when you have had to (semi) hide your grief from people or when the death of your partner has allowed you to open up more and let people know you were together, but then having to deal with their reactions. Both of these scenarios are hard to deal with on top of the deep painful grief you are feeling.

5 Likes

I worked with a lady several years ago who was in a gay relationship. I met her wife several times, she was a doctor and such a nice lady. I would not hesitate to support her if she needed it and she would never have kept it from us that they were a couple and we grieved with her as she laid her partner to rest. Hope this helps a little bit that there are those of us who don’t have prejudice or don’t care about what you are going through. Take care x

2 Likes

So sorry to hear what you are going through my heart goes out to you always hear if you need to talk

2 Likes

Thanks @Johnch and @sue11 for your responses. We were in a fabulous relationship for 36 years even though most people - though not all - thought we were ‘very best friends’ only. The issues around why this was, are numerous and complicated, tied up with our professions and religion and particularly my partner’s perceptions of others’ perceptions. Now, I am finding it so hard after nine months on my own especially with a number of people not understanding how deep my grief is. Grief is grief and is painful and debilitating for everyone and I am not saying someone in my situation finds it more difficult than anyone else. But it is hard to cope with a cultural climate that generally does not understand. I am speaking generally because I’m still concerned that I should not be identified even on here.

5 Likes

Hi my best friend told me she was gay and in my eyes she is still the same person i have always know and she will always be my best friend and i will always be here for her and yes we all grief in the same way no matter what the situation is

1 Like

@Oscarina my thoughts are with you because it must be hard coping with your loss. Always here if you need to talk about something, John

3 Likes

Sending hugs to you @Oscarina as anything which makes this awful grief even harder to deal with is terrible.
I doubt you’ll find you are treated any differently on here so hope you will find support from the many lovely people here.
Karen xxx

3 Likes

So true what you have said we are all going through the same pain from lossing a love one and there are so many lovely people here and i would never treat anyone differently on here as we are here to support each other

3 Likes

My dear friend,

Grief is not discriminatory and it’s pain is just as grievous.
Please be assured of my thoughts & prayers at this difficult time.

Shalom john (and marian) :pray::dove:

4 Likes

I have friends who are gay and they are fantastic people. One of them runs his own business and when i told him that my wife sue had passed away…he shut the garage down and came straight over to see me and we have members of a bike group that are gay the love and support from all of us on here surrounds you my friend

3 Likes