Sleeping Problems

I lost my dad two months ago to prostate cancer and I can’t seem to get to sleep at night now unless I have the TV on with the sound off. I don’t lay facing the TV so I’m not watching it and falling asleep, it’s more like I need the ambient light from the TV to help send me off. Is this normal or should I stop doing it and turn the TV off completely? About a month before my dad died he fell down the stairs one night and myself and my mother took it turns sleeping in the living room with him as he couldn’t get up the stairs again after his fall and I would sleep with my bedroom door open in case my mum needed help with him on her “night shift”, could this be a reason why I’m needing to keep the TV on to help me sleep? Also my dad died at home as he didn’t want to die in a hospice or a hospital so I don’t know if this has anything to do with it.

I would like any advice as I’m getting fed up with it as I find myself waking up when my alarm goes off tired and grumpy and with brain fog.

1 Like

Hello @Weaseoil, thank you for reaching out to the community. I am so sorry for the loss of your dad.

We know that grief can have a big impact on our sleep. You’ve asked for advice, so I wanted to share Mind’s page on on coping with sleep problems which has lots of practical advice. Mindfulness can also help some people. We have these videos on our Grief Guide which might be helpful:

Take care,
Seaneen

1 Like