Struggling just now!

Its been 6 months since my dad passed away suddenly and i thought i was coping well but now i feel like ive taking a step back. All the feeling at the beginning when he first past are all coming back. I have been managing to copy every day and have went back to work. But the last couple of weeks ive felt overwhelmed again. Is this normal?

For me yes I have experienced the same. I lost my mom in September 2021 and in February this year I lost my dad. I only felt like I was starting to accept the loss of my mom a year on from her passing but then my father’s health was in decline so he was my focus. I have days when the loss of them both and individually hit like a sledgehammer. The only advice I can give is to not be hard on yourself. It’s early days and there is no set time line that you “get over it”, you don’t but just that some days it hurts a little less than others.

3 Likes

Yes its normal its been 6 months since my dad passed away and nearly a year ago my mum passed away .i get on with every day life but evey day is a struggle .or i can be on a good day and bam it hits me all over again .i took care of both my parents at end of life .and allway question did i do enough . I guess we just need to allow the good and the bad days .just take each hour of each day as it come x take care

2 Likes

It’s been really helpful to read that others are experiencing the same thing as me. My dad passed in June 22 and my mum 8 weeks later. I was also their carer for 4 months before they passed and was with them both at the end. I have been coping quite well after experiencing panic attacks when I first went back to work.
I have found special days like birthdays and anniversaries difficult but have generally been quite good, then all of a sudden this week It’s hit me hard and today it felt just like in the beginning with lots of crying and a panic attack at work.

3 Likes

Echoing others on this thread.
Its 4 months since dad passed and 3 months since mum joined him. I’ve had a few really good weeks (if thats what you call it when you don’t cry every day) however out of the blue these last few days have been a huge struggle, and i find myself on the sofa at 2.50am tonight, crying and in a state (because I’m totally stuck on a single thought)
Sending you all much love x

2 Likes

@Annie46 i do this in the small of hours where the rest of the world is fast asleep .grief is a lonely place even when you are surrounded by loved ones . Its hard cause you cant explaind the unbearable pain some days . And ppl think cause u go to work see to the kids do eveday stuff yr copeing .so far from the truth
.take care x

2 Likes

Many a true word spoken there.
I simply cant explain the tidal wave to anyone.
xx

1 Like

I am so up and down its a year on 12th april since my beautiful mum and best friend passed away .contantly remember the last days and last moments are brutal . :broken_heart: xx

1 Like

Hi,

It was 3 months yesterday since my mum passed away. I seem to be ok but Mother’s Day triggered me & then yesterday did to and I hit rock bottom every time and can’t cope.
I couldn’t sleep, kept having nightmares & ended up phoning in sick to work today because of how I felt and not been able to control my crying.
It hurts but I’m hoping that each day I will get stronger. We’re all here for you when you need to talk x

1 Like

Sending you my love .i am going in to home care as a second job so i can help and support other families . I think it will help me .as miss taken care of mum and dad .same to u take care if u ever need a rant or just a realise feel free xx

Funny you should say that as after losing mum I am more drawn to working in palliative/end of life care. I work in a hospital as a support worker at the moment but I really just want to care and support people in their end of life.

I wish you well in everything you do xxx

1 Like

I do this too and cry in the night when all are asleep. Grief is so lonely

2 Likes

@Luckyfairy20 @Samantha86 i work in Primary Care, I’ve really struggled to deal with palliative patients since my parents passed yet its something I was deeply passionately about before.
There is a huge emphasis on the patient which is right and i understand but a part of me is screaming for the family left behind. I guess its just our experience that haunts us.

@Kerrym it is such a lonely place to be x

1 Like