Struggling with losing my dad last november

I lost my dear dad last Nov . Dad and I was very close I looked after him for 12 years before he had to go into residential care. I visited dad 3 days a week, when it’s my days off I miss visiting my dad and I’m finding it so hard to cope without him

2 Likes

Hi, I’m in a similar position. My dad died end of January and my mum in 2020. My dad died and although he was 92 he was mentally sharp. I knew this was coming as he had been declining but I really miss him. I’m trying to be strong and I know he lived a long life but I even miss his constant complaining and feel on the verge of tears and frightened. Everyone tells me this is natural but it’s so sad.

Hi. I also lost my dad late last year and we were very close. I miss him every day, all the time, and it’s torture trying to cope. I’m so sorry for your loss. Hugs and love. :heart:

2 Likes

My sympathies. :heart: Even if they did live a long life, they still leave a hole in ours and it’s hard to be strong. I drew much of my strength from my dad and that makes it more difficult now.

1 Like

It really is frightening isn’t it. Nothing can prepare you for it until it happens. I’ve found that listening to audiobooks about grief, writing letters to Dad and basically educating myself as much as I can has helped me understand these awful feelings are normal, feeling physically weak is normal. Losing a parent is losing part of oneself. The finality of it is horrible. I am still overwhelmed with repeated almost new feelings of distress as if yet again I’m learning he has gone.Anything you think you will tell him, would have told him, his favourite food in a supermarket, everything you associated with him that you didn’t realise would suddenly remind you afresh he’s no longer here, just sends shock and pain through you.
At least I am not “ frozen”now.
For the first weeks I I stared ahead for hours and hours thinking of him. It was hard to get out of my front door.
I still can’t watch tv and haven’t tried to read anything other than the grief advice pages online.
Wishing you strength. This is normal, we are normal.

1 Like