Struggling with loss of Dad

Hi. It’s been five weeks since my beloved Dad died unexpectedly. I don’t feel like I’m coping very well. I have this constant knot in my stomach, feel panicky and feel worse now than I did when He first passed away. This week has been the worst so far. I am trying to keep busy but feel close to tears most of the time. I have referred myself for counselling and have had to take time off from work. People tell me how I’m feeling is normal but I feel I’m getting worse and not better. I know it’s early days but any advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi there, so sorry for your loss… it’s coming up to the first anniversary of my dads sudden passing, and I remember feeling exactly how you described. Still do some days… but life does seem to find a way of going on… hard as it is. I’ll still burst into tears for no good reason driving to work. I too tried to refer myself for counselling back at the start, but I guess because of covid it was all over the phone and I didn’t think that would be useful for me. I don’t think there is a normal way to feel… it really does come in waves… I can feel the next big one about to hit the shore… last night I looked back at messages and realised that the last text message my dad sent me was a year ago… one hour at a time, one day at a time - you’ll find your way through…

3 Likes

Hi I’m so sorry for your loss, I know how you’re feeling as it’s 5 weeks today that my dad passed, there are days where I don’t cry and I think I’m ok, then 2 days later I do. Nothing but cry I’ve started with panic attacks for no reason and I feel lost. My dad was always the one to make things seem better, one hug from him and everything was ok .
I’m sorry this really won’t be making it better for you, but just know if you need to talk I’m in the same place you are

1 Like

Hi, thanks so much for your message. I am reassured that you are feeling the exact same way as me. I too have days where I don’t cry and then next day all I seem to do is cry. I have also felt panicky, it’s almost like sometimes the reality hits me harder and shocks me again. I then panic when I think I won’t ever see my dad again. Grief is a very strange, surreal emotion. Feel free to message me anytime as like you say we are in the same place right now. Take care.

1 Like

Thank you for your message. It’s reassuring when you hear others say they feel the same. Well done on making it through the first year, I know it wouldn’t have been easy.

Hi @Mop48 - I am touched by your message and really sorry to hear of your loss. I can reassure you that you’re not alone. I lost my dad 4 months ago unexpectedly and experienced the same emotions as yourself. I went from crying all the time to feeling numb and very lost and wasn’t coping too well at all. I too have taken time off work and I’m in the process of being referred to get bereavement counselling. These emotions do come in waves and it’s important that you acknowledge the way you’re feeling. Grief is vey tough, please do take care of yourself and sending you a big virtual hug.

Hi there I lost my dad in November I’m absolutely :broken_heart: and people it gets easier as time goes by I feel like it just gets harder I have my good day but my bad days are really hard I think about my dad all the time I know he wouldn’t want me to be upset all the time my dad was always the one to make things better and give me the biggest hug and made everything better and I’ve not got that I just feel empty and something missing from me I think I’m still in shock!!

I’m so sorry for your loss it’s so hard xxx