struggling with mental health

My dad passed away on Monday 18th December 2023
My mum had a massive heart attack on Friday 5th January 2024.
Yes she has recovered.

I suffer from mental health problems and I am getting worse. I am NOT sleeping because I can see my dad take his last breath.
I am still thinking that my dad is alive and enjoying his life with my mum and his pet dog but I know he has passed away.
My head is all messed up and I don’t know what to do for the best

I am seeing my own GP on Tuesday 6th February 2024 and I am dreading going because I just don’t know what to expect with my GP appointment

6 Likes

Well done on reaching out and getting a GP appointment.

I had an appointment for a chest infection a few weeks ago, and couldn’t help but cry through most of it. The healthcare worker I saw (we don’t get to see GPs where I live) was very kind, sympathetic and supportive. I’m sure your GP will be, too. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for replying to my post.
Thank you for saying well done for getting a GP appointment.
I just don’t want to do this anymore .

Sorry to hear that you had a chest infection and I hope you are fully better now

2 Likes

Good that you have an appointment lined up! Just try to explain how you feel and see what they suggest. It would be helpful, for example, if you got something to help you sleep and maybe your GP can refer you to counselling. I’m sorry for your loss, I too have lost my dad. It must have been a shock with your mum so soon after, I’m very glad she’s ok. :heart:

2 Likes

Hi

Thank you for replying to my post.
I will try and explain how I feel when I see my GP.
I have tried Herbal sleeping tablets before and they didn’t make any difference.
I really hoping that my GP will gave me something to sleep.
I am sorry for your loss to
Yes It was a real shock when my mum had a massive heart attack . xxx

1 Like

Hi Queenie

I don’t sleep well since losing mum and dad (both in 3 months).

I use sleep headphones and play either podcasts or sleep stories. On the Calm app they have both fiction and non fiction stories, it helps to distract my mind. They also have soothing music and meditations. If having a really bad night I listen to history or non fiction podcasts so I’m at least micro learning.

A sleep routine can help but I just get up instead of tossing and turning now.

Wishing you a restful night.

Thank you. :heart: Melatonin helps me to fall asleep, but it doesn’t keep me from waking up during the night.

you are very welcome
I will ask my GP about it tomorrow xxx

1 Like

Hi @Queenie2 like @Ulma I also bought a new sleep mask from snooze band. You can link it to your phone or there’s loads of white noise music on there. It’s helped me sleep distracting my mind. Ive also been suffering from tinnitus after I got flu in the day of mum’s funeral so it also helps with that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’m glad you’ve found something that works. :+1: I’ll look into it!

By the way, how did your appointment at hearing clinic go?

I use a sleep mask with headphones everyday. I use the calm app which has sleep stories, sleep music and meditation. I also listen to podcasts. But sleeping is a shocker still. I can think of my dad before I sleep and as soon as I wake up. It’s relentless.

It’s a little strange to get used to! My tinnitus still isn’t great. Audiologist successfully removed some wax and lots of dry skin from ear canal and said because of the flu the pressure and fluid could take a couple more weeks to clear. It’s hard to know as anxiety can cause it and I’m just over two weeks into my meds so know they take a few more weeks to feel full effects. I’m also off HRT at the moment which could be another cause. So I’m not sure what’s triggered it. Perhaps I need to go back to the GP or speak to hearing clinic again because I feel that the tinnitus is stopping me focusing properly on grieving if that makes sense. It’s driving my nuts! Sorry if that was TMI xx

1 Like

Hi Titch7674

I will look into sleepmask.
sorry that you are suffering from tinnitus.
I get it now and again and it drives me up the wall

Just to let you know that I have seen my GP and I have got some sleeping tablets xxxx

1 Like

Hi Robbeat08

I will look into sleepmask.
I have noticed that music helps me during the day
Just to let you know that I been to see my GP and he has given me some sleeping tablets xxx

1 Like

This is what I have. Not sure if I’ve managed to upload right.

1 Like

Awwww thanks for uploading the sleep mask.

I will give it a try and I will order one xxxx

1 Like

I know a lot of people who have them it was recommended to me. Friends say it’s a game changer. Sleep is so important to help recovery so it’s worth a try :heart:

Same one I have. Recommend it

1 Like

I agree with you that sleep is so important to help with your recovery xxxx

2 Likes

Ok thanks xxx

1 Like