Struggling

It is 7 months since my husband passed suddenly, my birthday was new year’s eve, I summoned the courage to go to the hotel we’ve been to at new year for the past 20 years, our friends there were wonderful in making sure I wasn’t left on my own. When it came to big Ben chiming, every one wanted to be standing next to their husbands/wives etc, that split second I felt I was being hit by a bulldozer and fled to the quiet sun lounge where I sobbed my heart out. We always stayed 3 nights, arriving homeyesterday, at first I was glad to be back in the safe confines of our home, then was hit with the emptiness, loneliness and despair of facing this new year without him here. I’ve had to struggle through house repairs/maintenance etc, being let down by plumbers who promised to replace the heating before Alan was even ill. The worry of trying to have it done before he came home from hospital was traumatic enough, finally managed to get some one to do the work 2 months after he’d passed away, two days after his funeral I found myself with no heating, no hot water and no toilet. House was in a shambles with everything stacked up to give free access to the pipework etc, didn’t think of postponing the new bedroom fittings in the spare bedroom, job to take 2 days, 2 months on and still waiting for the last door to be fitted, boxes piled on the landing unable to go through them, just feel too overwhelming and trapped. The feeling of being stuck in a pool of deep treacle. I bought a beautiful bound journal to write about my day to Alan, shortly after he passed in May, actually started to write in it 31st October, I am now over half way through, my thoughts relay his responses and I have conversations with him in my head, sometimes I talk out loud to him (well, mostly all the time if I’m truthful).

Getting back home after going on our regular break felt like I’d lost him all over again, left the house 30th Dec 2018. Returned the following year 2nd Jan 2019, felt more and more isolated and alone, was only 4 days but a new year, a year to face alone without him, making my struggle even harder to cope with. I am so very sorry for your loss Bish, the support from this forum is wonderful and has been so very helpful. ☆ I am self employed and still cannot face doing any work, which now I’m going to have to force myself as it involves tax returns and must be completed and submitted by Jan 31st. After which I’ve decided to retire, something Alan kept wanting me to do for the past few years before he passed away, feel very very guilty now, it took him passing away to realise I should have listened to him then. I did intend retiring, but was giving it another couple of years, winding down gradually, little did we know, we didn’t have enough valuable time together. Everything is an effort, a major struggle to even go out, thankfully I have an 8 month pup plus my daughter’s 2 year old dog to make me go out walking them 3 times a day, sometimes I see people, and we stop and talk a short time, other times it’s just myself, Winston (My daughter’s pug who misses his hourly walks with Alan) and my pug pup Ada.

We had a cockatiel Monty, 22 years old, he was Alan’s bird and exactly 2 months to the date of Alan leaving our home for the last time when he was taken into hospital, Monty flew out of the open patio door. He’d been spooked all day and been fretting for weeks. He’d never flown towards the door ever before, he was old and I know his heart gave out that evening as he flew high to be with Alan. That tipped me over the edge and triggered a thousand ‘what ifs’. I couldn’t hold Ada and didn’t want her, she was 9 weeks old and I rejected her, my daughter cared for her, I came to some sense and picked her up, cuddled her, wept tankers full of tears and never rejected her again. She is my reason to get up every morning, between her and Winston, they get me out of the house 3 to 4 times each day.

So Sorry for rambling on so much. Every day is a huge struggle. Don’t see any light, then again at present I can’t imagine a life outside of this ☆

1 Like

It looks like you have a multiplicity of factors which are holding you back. That must be really difficult for you to see any way forward. It reminds me a bit of working with organisations that were going round in circles and couldn’t see a way out. At least you have identified the things that are pressing down on you. It sounds like you also know what you, or others, might be able to do to bring about an improvement. It’s no surprise that you are overwhelmed by it all. Anyone would be.
It’s a great regret of mine that my wife wouldn’t give up work completely until she became ill. I retired very early and was ready to enjoy life. I did it as soon as I could as I didn’t want to be like my father and go straight from work to Alzheimers.
My wife’s brother had a stroke just four weeks before he retired. He thought I was odd as I retired at 52. I not actually asked him how he sees it now but we live with our decisions.
I’ve been away a few times on my own and I tend to retreat to my room after dinner and read. Not as easy to do that if you are with friends.
Hope your day improves.

Thank you so much, Alan retired at 63, and I was slowly downsizing my client base. I had decided 2017 accounts were going to be my last, but with Alan bring admitted to hospital then passing away, I left it too late to advise every one so I ended up having to continue for a further year, which I am no longer up to going emotionally. I shall have to of course and work long hours to do so, how ever they are all being notified to find another accountant. Sometimes I just want to lock myself away, even more so today. used to be very practical and logical, now I’ve no patience with anything, since getting back yesterday it’s like I’m back at square one, tv is off, radio is off, blinds half closed, ignoring phone calls, took Ada for her walk, praying I didn’t see anyone I knew, I was and still am far too tearful to speak to anyone. Just feel worse than ever. But Thank you so much for your kind words. I can understand you retreating to your room after your meals. I’ve thought about going away on.my own , then think that I’ll feel just the same if not worse than staying in my own surroundings. Catch 22 isn’t it ☆

1 Like

It’s maybe Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained or that’s what I told myself. The days are long and I think it’s essential to know how to fill them and to be doing things you want to do. I usually go half board and between breakfast and dinner you are very much on your own… no washing up, no cleaning and it’s too cold out to sit around.
In Edinburgh I did the rounds of galleries and museums. In the Lakes I walk.
I’ve found a way of becoming interested again in some things and to be alone in a big landscape can be exciting, and sometimes a bit dangerous. A few weeks ago I found that danger could be a massive distraction. Everything else was superfluous as I scrambled down a precarious descent. I remember thinking that if my kids could have seen me they would have had me put away.
All those things have created new memories. They haven’t replaced the old ones but it’s the start of a new chapter.
I suppose I have a sort of advantage in that I used to do a lot on my own but it’s strange how different it feels now. It’s like something is still holding me back.
I’m not sure but maybe getting away so much has helped me feel more comfortable at home. I can’t really elaborate on that as I don’t understand it.
I still think it must have been harder for you to go away with friends to a place you new so well. I’m not sure I could do that.
My wife’s best friend died two years earlier and her husband has asked if I’d like to go away with him. He has very different interests and I think I would like to avoid that.

I think you’re all very brave. I seem to have gone back to the frozen state again. However I just booked a flight to Capetown next month to stay with my sister for a few days. Even that has made me anxious but maybe a bit of sea and mountain air will get me out of the rut.

Well done you have more courage than me. Enjoy as much as you can x

1 Like

Please don’t apologise for your message I just thank you for replying and I am so, so sorry that you feel so desolate after returning from your few days’ away.
I was on the verge of going part time when my husband died as he had been retired for years and was older than me we wanted to spend more time together. I literally had the form on my desk and had permission from my boss with a view to starting part time on the 1st January. All that changed in an instant on the 27th October and now I am faced with having to work full time for the rest of my working life in order to pay the bills etc. I’m not being mercenary but like you we were just looking forward to a new phase in our lives, we had moved a few months earlier, downsizing,and an extension had just been finished. We are a short walk from town now, everything was set up for us and it has been smashed to pieces and I don’t know how to go on.
Work is a struggle especially the Happy New Years wishes from random customers and telephone callers. I know I’m not eating properly but I can’t be bothered. People who called me regularly at the beginning obviously think I am okay now because they don’t ring I get lots of ‘you know where we are if you need us’ comments but it takes enough effort to get up and dressed without seeking out company.

I know my thoughts are probably not very clear and coherent but that’s how I feel at the moment.

I hope your day hasn’t been as bad as you anticipated, thanks again for sharing. Dawnxx

I think you are very brave yourself Shirls I can’t imagine ever again being able to go on a holiday locally let alone on a plane and all that it entails. Well done. Dawn xx

1 Like

LOL it’s only a two hour trip. I live in Johannesburg. I’m going to order assisted passage which is brilliant because they do everything for you and wheelchair you to and from the plane and get your case off the roundabout thing for you. I don’t think the pllane would take off in time if I tried to climb those stairs!

You got me there I stupidley presumed you were in the UK. Still enjoy your visit xxx

Got me too, at least it made me smile. Have a good trip xx

Hi Stevie, not at all stupid - how could you know I live in South Africa? Still waiting for my UK passport - even though I was born in South Shields I still have to send in my mother and father’s birth certificates and marriage certificate as well as my expired passport. Maybe I’ll get it in time for your summer.

What’s summer x

Have a good visit. I know it’s hard but we have to try. Every time I tell Denise I can’t promise but I will do my best xx

Hi Dawn, like you my husband was older than me, and had retired a few years back. I am 52 and our plan was for me to retire by the time I was 55 so we George and I could spend some quality time together. At the end of September we were on holiday and 6 weeks after a diagnosis of cancer George had died an our dream was over. I now don’t know what my future holds. We were also thinking of downsizing, and if I want to stay here I will have to work full-time to pay the bills as it is a big house. However, I cannot even begin to think about moving. One day at a time. I have just started work again but have not ventured back into the office yet, preferring to work from home. However, next week I will need to show my face. Someone wished me a Happy New Year today, I could not reply, I just said that I hoped 2019 was kind to them. Take care xx

Hi Dawn, like you my husband was older than me, and had retired a few years back. I am 52 and our plan was for me to retire by the time I was 55 so we George and I could spend some quality time together. At the end of September we were on holiday and 6 weeks after a diagnosis of cancer George had died an our dream was over. I now don’t know what my future holds. We were also thinking of downsizing, and if I want to stay here I will have to work full-time to pay the bills as it is a big house. However, I cannot even begin to think about moving. One day at a time. I have just started work again but have not ventured back into the office yet, preferring to work from home. However, next week I will need to show my face. Someone wished me a Happy New Year today, I could not reply, I just said that I hoped 2019 was kind to them. Take care xx

Thank you Dawn, and I understand totally about people thinking you’re ok, ice certainly flu d out who my true friends are, and the phrase ‘you know where we are if you need us’ whilst it’s nice of them to offer, it is also a kind of cop out. Heard it so many times, of course I’ve never taken any of them up on it. There are genuine ones who mean it, usually from those who have or are going through exactly the same situation. Working from home is isolating me further, but I know that retiring is the right thing for me to do now, I am keeping at least one client on, had a good discussion with her and she’s more than happy for me to continue with her accounts, I’ve another which I’d like to keep on but need to discuss the legalities with her at our next meeting. The rest have proved far too demanding in the months following Alan’s passing, I no longer can cope with the added pressure. I’ve stocked up on some wool and knitting patterns for when the heavy snow comes (We get snowed in every year) I go out with my pup and my daughter’s dog 3 times a day and now Christmas is over and my daughter’s dog Winston has overcome his bacterial skin infection, I shall be joining the 2 hour Sunday pug walks again. Hopefully these plans will help fill my days with enjoyable activities, just had a session with my private counsellor, this helped with my despair today. I call her when I really cannot cope, so far I’ve had 3 sessions with her, her fee is £35 per hour, a session has never lasted the hour always 2 or 2.5 hours yet she won’t accept more than the 1 hour fee, I’m truly grateful of her support and it really does help. Being a recommendation from a friend who lost her partner made it more comfortable for me to contact her too. ☆ it’s a tough time all round isn’t it? Financially as well as emotionally. When people come up to you and say you’re doing really well, want yo scream st them saying… NO I.am.not doing well at all, it’s tearing me apart inside… people really just don’t know what to say… or are frightened to say anything at all. Truly hope you find yourself having some not so bad days soon, went through having extremely bad days, then some bad days, followed by not so bad days, lately though, everyday has become rollercoaster days of every feeling and every kind of day known to man, except that feeling if having a good day which has become alien to us all ☆

Hi Debra thanks for your reply I knew by having an older husband there was, in all probability that he would go before me but, Les was so full of life, had no real health issues and if anything was fitter than me as I do an office job. So when he died suddenly without warning it was such a total shock and I m still reeling. He did all the diy round the house and even the cooking. I was so lucky to have such a wonderful person for 25 years but the gaping hole he leaves and all the plans for the future we had are just too enormous to deal with. As you say perhaps just try one day at a time and see where that leads. Dawn xx

Thanks for your message. You are so right about finding out about your true friends and unfortunately despite the many, many cards and offers etc., that came in before and after the funeral I can say that only a couple of people have really been there for me. Maybe that is a reflection on me but I don’t know and to be honest I don’t have the energy to waste on thinking about it. I am so lucky I know that the one constant source of support at the moment has been my husbands’ 3 grown up children. They have been amazing. I can understand you finding working from home isolating as, although I was thinking of looking for a new job before Les’s death I believe having that routine of going to work has helped in some small way. When I go there I know I am not functioning as well as I should but most of my colleagues understand and support me, even covering when I slip off or out for a while when things get too much. It is at home that I find things overwhelming and I do feel for you knowing that you are going to get bad weather and then be isolated. I used to love reading but find that at the moment i can’t concentrate but maybe in time this will return.
I had an hours session with a Counsellor from this site on Wednesday, managed to cry most of the way through it but I did feel calmer by the end and I have booked another session for next week. I take the dog to daycare on a Friday as I like her to

have some company but unfortunately can only afford one day a week at the moment,I do feel calmer on Fridays knowing I have not got to rush home to see how she is.
The pug walks sound good I don’t know of anything like that in my area. Dog walkers I have recently found are very sociable and most are willing to stop for a chat. Hoping your day goes as well as it can. Dawn xx

Dawn,
I think that this time of year does not help at all with how bad we are all feeling. Going back to work on Wednesday after Xmas break I was inundated with people saying happy new year and me having to day do back - despite me not wanting to be in 2019 at all and definitely can’t imagine being happy this year.
I have also found that friends have drifted away but it is bound to happen simply because everyone is busy and doesn’t understand that the pain carries on. My sister put me in touch with a friend of hers who lost her husband 2 years ago and I spoke to her this morning - it was great as she could understand how I felt and despite her still grieving and getting upset she said it does get easier and you sort of learn to live with the anguish and pain.
I felt awful yesterday but forced myself to go to dog training last night which made me feel so much better - a lovely bunch of people just talking about dogs! That’s despite it bring in an indoor freezing horse arena! Also my dog Finn seems better now.
It’s good you have your dog in daycare on a Friday as it will give you some relief. As you say, so you don’t have to keep worrying about him.
I hope today is ok for you. It’s trying to find something positive in each day when we can and not worrying about the future (although I find that a challenge too when all our plans as a couple have gone) - after all given the sudden loss we have faced who knows what tomorrow will bring?
Sorry to sound so philosophical today! Think it’s because I slept better last night so have a bit more resilience.
Take care, Diane