Sudden death of my mum

I can’t believe that my mum has gone. She passed away on Monday 16th January after becoming unwell and taken to hospital on Saturday the 14th. It’s all been so sudden and I can’t get my head around it. Can’t believe I won’t see her anymore and struggling to cope. Can’t eat or sleep. I have a heavy pain in my chest and just don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Hi @GarryB,

Welcome to the community. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. It sounds as though things are understandably very difficult at the moment.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you right now.

Please do take care of yourself - keep reaching out,

Becca
Online Community Team

@GarryB sorry for your loss. I too lost my mum in October suddenly and I’m still in a daze at times I just can’t believe she’s gone. It was so sudden and no time to say goodbye. Grief is such a lonely journey and when sudden it is so traumatic. I try to plod on but I have no real support network apart from my immediate family.

2 Likes

Hi Garry.

I know your pain as I lost my mum suddenly in June of 2022. She went into hospital on the Monday evening with what everyone was telling me was nothing to worry about. She went into cardiac arrest on the Tuesday morning and was gone by 7:30am. I was 26 weeks pregnant at the time.
It truly is a crushing loss and feeling like you can’t believe they’re gone doesn’t go away. It’s 31 weeks since my mum died and I still can’t believe it. I know it’s true, but I can’t wrap my head around it.
I do hope you’ve got family around you who are supporting you. Feel free to message me any time, the likelihood is I have felt or am feeling exactly what you are experiencing.
Take care and go steady

1 Like

I’m with you, I lost my mum on New Year’s Day. She went into hospital with flu (also had COPD but never had any serious issues with it) a few days earlier and we were told she was making good progress, I spoke to her about coming home, took her some toiletries and planned on what outfit I would take up for her to wear home and then suddenly at 2am New Year’s Day we got a phone call to say she was declining and they were going to remove her oxygen mask. I sat and held her hand until she took her last breath and I can’t get over it. The funeral still hasn’t happened and it just feels so unreal right now. I too can’t eat or sleep properly and I’m really struggling to cope. I feel for anyone going through this awful pain. I’m so sorry for your loss.

1 Like