How can I best counsel my 24 year old grandson. who is grieving the loss of his mother. He doesn’t want to go for professional counselling

Hi SueR,

I am sorry to hear that you and your grandson are going through what must be a very difficult time.

Counselling is one support option, but it’s certainly not for everyone and there are other alternatives. Probably the most important thing is for your grandson to have someone to talk to, whether a friend or a family member. Support is also available online in this community or organisations like Cruse Bereavement Care offer helpline services, if he would prefer to talk anonymously.

There may be something useful for your grandson in our article on how to cope with bereavement.

What’s your grief is a helpful website that has lots of articles about grief and bereavement.

I’m sorry if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, but based on the title of this conversation I am making an assumption that your grandson has been bereaved by suicide. If this is the case there’s an organisation called Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS) who have various support services.

I hope this helps - if there’s anything else I can do for you and your grandson please don’t hesitate to let me know. Ultimately your grandson needs to be kind to himself and give himself the time and space to grieve at his own pace.

Take care,

Back to top