Supporting Dad after Mum

Hello, my mum, my best friend died suddenly in December 2022. My Dad is really struggling without her. She was his whole life, he has only a few friends and no hobbies. He is keeping busy with housework at mine and helping with his two grandchildren but he seems so low and exhausted and sad if they are not here to distract him.
What can I do to help him? My heart breaks for him xx

1 Like

Hi @Claire131 Im so sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my dad in January so we’re both still in the very early, raw stages of grief. It’s a pain like I’ve never felt or imagined in my life before.
My mum is also really struggling with terrible loneliness which is totally expected after many decades of spending every day with my dad. All I can suggest is not to be afraid to talk to him about your mum. You both may be avoiding it because you think it’ll be painful for the other person, but in my experience talking about the person who’s gone, recalling happy or funny memories, can help. It’s a long, hard road ahead for both you and your dad, sadly, but it’s just a case of one day, one hour, at a time.
Take care of each other and keep posting.
Jack x

1 Like