This is agony!

I lost my darling husband 6 weeks ago after a 6 month battle with lung cancer. I don’t know how I’m going to carry on, or if I even want to. My reason for living is gone. My parents are both gone, and I am an only child, and I have no children. What’s the point. Is this how everyone feels at first.

Hi heather , I know exactly how you feel , I lost my wife on the 9th of may this year after 38 years of a very happy marriage. Like you my life went with her,we were retiring at the end of this year and moving to Spain. All our plans our life went. I still feel so lost,cry every day several times. It is so hard to carry on life seems pointless I totally understand that. For me I go to counselling, the gym most days it does seem to help a little. I know this reply doesn’t ease that pain your feeling but others are suffering and do know what you are going through. I can only offer a chat on here if you feel you want to . David

Heather, I also know exactly how you feel. I lost my husband 7 weeks ago - he died in his sleep so it was totally unexpected. All the future plans we had together for when we retired are now gone and I also feel totally lost. All I can suggest is to just take 1 day at a time - fill your day with routine tasks - and don’t look further forwards. Just surviving each day is a big success for us. I also find it helpful talking to friends rather than isolating myself.
Sorry to hear you are also suffering

Hi Heather sorry for the loss of your husband. I understand how you feel I lost my partner suddenly in May he was only 48 . The first few weeks I didn’t want to go on I feel so empty I know I have to carry on for my son’s. This site is helping me a lot I hope it helps you too.
Christine x

Hi everybody,
Thank you all for your replies. I am sorry to read so many sad stories and my heart goes out to all of you. I am trying to take one day at a time, but as you all know, it is so hard. It helps to know I’m not alone in my grief, and my feeling are apparently normal. Take care everybody. Love Heather.x

Heather55, sorry for your loss hun sending hugs .

Hi Heather,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband. I so relate the the sense of pointlessness, and if you look around this forum you’ll see that a lot of people are asking the same question. I think it’s very common to feel the way you do. When I was about six months into the loss of my husband who died two years ago, I remember the daily heartache because I thought I had lost my reason for living. And then I decided that he could STILL be my reason for living, if only because I had promised him that I would not kill myself. I know he wants me to live - even at times when I desperately don’t want to – so in a very real sense, he’s still my reason for living. I can promise you that as you go through this, Heather, you may find other little points - not instead of your sweetheart, but additional to him - that encourage you to keep going. I don’t know if this helps at all, but I do want you to have a ((((hug)))) if that’s okay. It’s very raw for you right now, take care.

Louise xxoo

Totally with you there, Diane, just surviving is a big success xxoo