Wedding anniversary

Just about got through our first wedding anniversary since my husband died. This time last year we knew he was ill and I clung to him thinking that he might not be there for our next anniversary and that would be unbearable. It has been hellish but, to my surprise, I am still here, mainly thanks to our wonderful children. I bought myself an anniversary present as he would have done, a little necklace with an eternity symbol. As far as I am concerned we are still married. I went for a picnic with our daughter and had a cry. Days like today feel really hard as they remind me of how much I have lost. I know I still have a lot but it is still so hard. Still have his birthday and the first anniversary of his death to get through but I am still here and will keep trying. Hope everyone else facing difficult dates or difficult days finds their way through.

3 Likes

Sharon 60
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am now in the second year of loss and it is almost as hard as the first year. It would have been our 56th wedding anniversary next month, the second one I have been on my own and I am really dreading it. Sending you big hugs. X

2 Likes

Just had the first anniversary without my Karen can honestly say it was the worst ‘first’ of the lot as it brought back so many memories.
Like every day I found keeping busy helped but it was far from easy.
I spent a lot of time making up a poem about our life together. Posted to close family and friends I was blown away by the response to it.
Maybe you could do something similar?
Hope you get through it ok.

2 Likes

Hi . It was our 40 wedding anniversary in June . I tidied our garden as a gift to my husband . It was a sad sad day . But I also had a smile imagining what husband would say to me as I hacked at flowers and ruined the grass as I tried to cut it . But it did look nice when I had finished . I have been through all the firsts now apart from next month when it will be a year since my world fell apart and my heart shattered . Thinking of you all xtake carex

4 Likes

Heartbroken2222
I wish it was just the ‘firsts’ that were the only painful times but I’m finding the ‘seconds’ are just as awful. Nevertheless I do hope there a light at the end of this awful tunnel. I have to believe there is. Some of the happier memories are coming back so I feel a little more positive even though I’m sobbing right now. Big hugs.

6 Likes

Hi yes reading posts on here a lot say the second year is just as hard if not worse . I really don’t know how I have got through this first year . I just miss and love him so much . And yes the tears are never far away from us . The slightest thing and I’m off . Thinking of you . Big hug . Xtake carex

4 Likes

Lovely idea

1 Like

I had our ‘first’ wedding anniversary (29 years) only 20 days after losing my love.
I know next year will be just as difficult since we talked about having a party for our 30th.
It was my birthday a few days after our wedding anniversary too so it really was a tough time.

3 Likes