Wedding Anniversary

Today is our wedding anniverary …my first without my lovely husband Stephen… Its so hard not to remember previous days like this … tea in bed, with a card and gift to open along with the tea … maybe a trip to the cinema and a meal out later …today I am at home, alone apart from the dog … and my memories.
Please, someone tell me it gets easier … I know its just another day, and it will end but it is so hard :’( :’( :’(

5 Likes

Hi Audrey54

Anniversaries can be really hard, especially the firsts. It’s important that you do what’s right for you today and look after yourself. Remembering the times you spent with Stephen on other anniversaries might be both a comfort and sad, It’s ok to feel a lot of different emotions.

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

Take care,
Rhi

Hi @Audrey54
I can’t tell you how it will go but sending love. I had my first anniversary without my husband (would have been 29 years) less than 3 weeks after my husband died so it was all a blur. My birthday was 11 days later so I did two ‘firsts’ within a short space of time and before his funeral. We were thinking of a party for our 30th anniversary so I’m not anticipating that being any easier next May.

I do believe we can get through these horrible milestones though and I’m confident that, with support and determination we can lead a very different but still ok life, maybe even good one day.

Sending love. X

Hello @Audrey54 - I have been through the first wedding anniversary, too. It was tough but I crept through it. It will get easier - just keep going, day by day and the clouds will part and the sunshine will come through again. x

Thank you all for the replies. Well, I managed to get through the day with just a few tears, no major meltdown so I am quite pleased with myself today. Though I did choose who I saw/spoke to … even my own 87 year old mother told me to ‘pull myself together’ on Xmas Day … I can do without that for sure.

2 Likes

@Audrey54 Makes me so grateful for my family who seem to totally understand that I’m going to cry - even on a ‘normal’ day with nothing specific happening. My Mum is 85 and was widowed when she was 57 then lost a second partner too. She has been so strong throughout that and I am ashamed to say I didn’t realise how hard it would be for her. My focus was on losing my wonderful Dad at the time. I didn’t live anywhere near her then but she moved up to near our home almost two years ago.

Until you lose your life’s love I don’t think you can appreciate how awful it is.

1 Like