Where is the Counselling in Scotland for people with no Support System

I lost my boyfriend/partner of 27 years and like many people we had no children. We unfortunately lived in our own little world quite happily until in January 2019 when he suffered cardiac arrest. I had to wait weeks for a doctor’s appointment and I was told to get in touch with Cruse Scotland. I have a counselling appointment on 15 May 2019! 16 weeks after his death! Seemingly funding has been cut in this area of Scotland. I would like to know where people like me without family or friends go to when they are suddenly bereaved and they have no one?

May be our politicians could tell me as like many bereaved people in my situation the effect on my mental health is not good with waiting such a long time for one counselling session.

Hi I stay in Scotland i lost my partner suddenly to a heart attack. I contacted British heart foundation hoping they had bereavement counselling which they don’t. I did over the phone counselling through my partners work which helped a bit but this site has been a good help to me. I have family and friends to talk too but I feel I have to talk to people in my position. I am sorry you have to wait so long maybe your gp could give you other numbers.

Hello Prue,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve lost your partner and that you’ve had to wait so long for a counselling appointment. It sounds as though your Cruse appointment is now coming up in a couple of weeks, and I hope you will find it useful. However, in case it is useful to you or anyone else reading this, I just wanted to let you know that Sue Ryder also offers an online bereavement counselling service, which is free and happens via video chat. Find out more: https://support.sueryder.org/bereavement-counselling/about

Your the lucky one. I tried to get Cruse counselling weeks ago when at my very lowest and was offered nothing as it seemed I sounded (over the phone) positive. I might sound positive but they can’t see inside me. I attempted the local hospice and was told again there was a long waiting list and that I would have to be assessed (whatever that means) before I can get any help. Given up now.

Hi that’s terrible you should try again I’ve been waiting on cruse bereavement since November I rang today to be told another 8 to 19 weejs on the waiting list it’s terrible you should get a referal from your GP you may sound "POSSITE " nobody knows what’s your mind and body are feeling xx

Hi Prue it is atrocious but there is video counselling on here that I have taken advantage of and didn’t wait at all I had assessment day after applying and have had 2 sessions since. I too am from Scotland and I have made use of theSamaritans, Breathing Space and Samh trying to come to terms with this living hell. GPs seem to have a counsellor with Samh as I am seeing one on Tuesday at my GP’s surgery. I am so sorry for your loss. I too live alone and am constantly screaming the place down at the sheer physical pain of this grief. Please write any time you want We’re very supportive even though we don’t have answers. K x