Words of support at the toughest times

A huge thank you to all of you who’ve been helping to support each other on this site. We’re seeing how a few well-chosen words from someone who understands can make a real difference to people at the toughest times.

Here are just a few of the wonderful supportive messages that have been written by our members so far:

“Grieving is a natural process, it has no rules, conditions or time limit.” - Libby

“When it gets so tough I feel like I can’t cope anymore I remember that so far my track record of coping with tough days is 100% and that’s pretty good.” – tlang

“Don’t be afraid to speak the truth and say how things are. You will be surprised just how many people out there are feeling like you.” – Cookie17

“You still have the monkey of grief on your back, so take your time, small steps.” - BrianL

“Stay strong and we can get through this awful time in our lives.” - Lou

“Try to be kind to yourself, apologise for nothing and do what you want to do - all things will change in different ways as time goes on." - Ev

“Smile and fight hard, don’t give in.” - rayaxhl

At Sue Ryder, we’re trying to encourage more people to find the words and talk about terminal illness and bereavement. We hope this community will continue to grow as a place for people to give and get support.

Has someone said something that has helped you? Do you have a tip or some encouragement that you’d like to pass on? Post it in the replies below.

There will be days when all you can do is breathe and that is ok because there will also be days when you can do far more than you ever thought possible. Be gentle with yourself. Allow yourself to just breathe. It’s ok X

2 Likes

Those are really lovely words, thanks so much for sharing.

1 Like

Yesterday, the Sue Ryder team was at London’s Victoria Station to talk to people about terminal illness and bereavement – and to tell them how this Online Community can help. We had an amazing response from people who opened up about their experiences and shared some of their own messages of support.

Here are just some of the kind words that were shared, both in person and on <a href=“https://www.facebook.com/SueRyderNational”_blank">Facebook and <a href=“https://twitter.com/hashtag/connectingthread?src=hash”_blank">Twitter:

“Share the love – because we are only a powerful force when connected.”

“Grief is a journey. It will be tough, but the seasons remind me that I am going forward and gaining strength.”

“Be kind to yourself and remember happy times.”

“Us humans are so resilient and can cope with all sorts of things. Here’s to extra strength for all who need it right now.”

“Don’t look forward. Don’t look back. Live each day as it comes.”

“When you’re going through hell…keep going.”

“You can’t turn the clock back, but you can wind it up again.”

Find out more about what we were up to yesterday.