Worried

Hi it’s been 6 months since I lost my husband suddenly and unexpectedly at 46. I’m worried sick about his birthday on the 9th of this month I don’t know how I’m going to cope with it. Does anybody have any suggestions of nice ways to remember him in that day. Thanks

2 Likes

Same, it will be my partners big 50th this year. He died in January. We were supposed to be touring Italy for 3 weeks. It’s going to be a killer if a time and like you, I’m trying to think what I can do. I will probably just ride it out but will meet with family and friends for his official birthday in September.

It will be my Bri’s 48th birthday in august, by then it will 10 months that he suddenly and unexpectedly passed. Sometimes i think i would like to have a celebration of his life. There was alot of friends and family that were unable to make his funeral and celebration of life in november, and i also want to mark his day of birth and keep him in everyones thoughts, though he was such an amazing man that hes always in peoples hearts.
Then on my bad days im not sure about this and think it will be too hard for me. At his funeral i was supported and swept along by everyone and was still in shock so this would be very different. i would at least be able to listen to all the stories about him, i couldnt do that at his funeral.
Sorry for long post and not sure its been very helpful. @Caz9, we are in a similar situation so i understand what you are going through. I hope you have lots of family and friends to support you on this tough day ahead. Would you be able to go for a nice meal somewhere.
Lots of love x

Hi @Skip I think a celebration on Bri’s birthday might be nice. For Di’s celebration right after the cremation we hired a hall and showed a PowerPoint video of photographs from her as a baby to last year. I deliberately chose photos which included all the friends who came so everyone had a chance to see themselves (and in some cases have a laugh at fashion disasters). I asked friends and relatives to send me any photos of them with Di to be included. The show was on a continuous loop so people could dip in and out. As the time limit was quite long I included a lot of photos. We also put together a playlist of her favourite songs as background. It was buffet and drinks so people could easily circulate. This was hard for me at the time but it cemented so many of our friendships as seeing themselves in the photos made many feel they really were part of her life as indeed they were. Hope this helps. xx

4 Likes

@Mike75 thats the same as what we did. We had the service at hulme hall with a celebrant, half way thru a powerpoint slideshow. After going to the cemetery we went back to hulme hall for the celebration of his life, where the slideshow continued on a loop and id put together a playlist with the help of his family. He loved such a wide range of music.
The service for your Di sounds beautiful and a lovely way to include all yours and Di’s friends. Xx

3 Likes

Hi, I would suggest just going with your instincts about how you want to mark the day. This might just be lighting a candle and raising a glass. Maybe using the day as an occasion to visit a special place? Don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourself. Best wishes xx

3 Likes

Hi caz9 my partner always celebrated her mum & dads anniversary by releasing to helium balloons in a park and then watch them travel skywards until they disappeared. It gave her some comfort as she believed they were in heaven to catch the balloons.

@Skip My partner’s daughter is organising a Celebration of Life later this year. it’ll be in her home town as we lived a fair way from where she was born and not everyone could make the funeral. There’ll be a band, food and some music chosen by friends that remind them of her Mum. I’m going to go but this is something that I think her daughter needs to organise to help her journey through her grief. This will be some 6 months on from the funeral and I’m hopeful that it will be a day of memories, stories and, dare I say it, some enjoyment and happiness. My partner’s funeral was not what you would call traditional and between that and this event in a couple of months I hope it helps the healing/grieving process for everyone. Hope this helps you in some way.

2 Likes

Thanks @JustSomeBloke. Yeah thats the sort of thing im thinking of. Bri loved a party and i want him to be in peoples memories, and share lots of stories about him. The local beer festival had a beer named after him this weekend so lots of friends and family went and talked about him.
There are alot his colleagues, and me that are doing some sporting events in his memory, raising money for his favourite charity so perhaps we could turn it into a fundraising event as well as a celebration of his birth with all the things he enjoyed.
Thanks @JustSomeBloke thats give me a little push to sway me to do it x

2 Likes