Help us to design our 'Grief Kind' garden

Hello everyone,

Sue Ryder is working alongside a garden designer on an application for an RHS show garden which will ultimately be destined for a Sue Ryder Hospice. I know we have many keen gardeners and nature lovers on our community, and as part of the design process, the designer would be really keen to hear your opinions to help shape the design and ensure that it meets the needs of those who use it.

The garden is to be a ‘Grief Kind’ space, encouraging more open conversations around grief. The garden will provide a safe and peaceful sanctuary to sit within the beauty of nature, whilst sharing experiences or having a moment of quiet reflection.

The garden will be formed of layers of sensory planting, to be enjoyed from a bench or a hospital bed, and it will be a space that can be accessed by hospice service users, their families, the local community as well as hospice staff.

If you were able to answer some of the following questions, it would be really helpful in getting the space right.

• How would you want the space to make you feel?
  • What sort of plants would help you feel this (favourite plants, colours, scents)?
  • Would you want it to feel secret and snug or more open?
  • A water feature is proposed - would you prefer this to be a still reflective pool or create a gentle bubbling sound as a form of white noise?

Thank you in advance, and I’ll keep you up to date on how the design progresses :blue_heart:

Take good care,
Seaneen

2 Likes

Hi,
I would like the garden to make me feel happy so bright colours of flowers and different types of flowers to represent different types of people and different types of grief.

Favourite flowers and plants would be tall white lilies to represent peace and the simplicity of things. Flowers to represent different countries and cultures eg daffodils for Wales roses for England thistles for Scotland etc and exotic plants and trees eg palm trees for other countries
Roses of all colours and scent would be amazing as the symbol of love
I think different areas would be lovely to suit different people and moods and changing emotions eg a quiet area for reflection times, a chatty bench area or buddy bench for people to chat to someone or befriend eycsomeone.
Pathways to create areas for people to walk along and bordered with pretty flowers. Maybe a bug hotel so wildlife can be watched and listened to. Trees and large shrubs with seating around them to encourage people to get together and sit together.
Water features such as waterfalls,pond, running water from pots,etc which could include fish in the pond
Deborah x

1 Like

These are lovely ideas @seychelles - thank you for sharing them :blue_heart:

Peonies, roses, lavender, and a water feature .

1 Like

I would like it to be full of sensory cottage garden plants - lavender, honeysuckle, soft coloured roses, fox gloves, lily of the valley with seating/benches, snug and comforting. If using a water feature it should be very gentle sounds

1 Like

Thank you @George4 and @rosearrow :rose:

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you for your ideas, and to give you an update on our Grief Kind garden as I know there’s lots of keen gardeners on our community.

Sue Ryder will be presenting a Grief Kind Garden in the ‘All About Plants’ category at RHS Chelsea Flower Show. We’ll be exploring the theme of grief with a sensory garden designed by award winning designer, Katherine Holland at RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2024.

You can find out more by visiting this link:

I’ll share some pics with you all when I can. :blue_heart:

Seaneen

1 Like

I think it depends whether the garden is aimed at those approaching end of life and their loved ones, or those already bereaved, or whether its representing the entire journey. As someone recently bereaved i found i didnt want bland words of comfort, i just miss being hugged by someone during the painful times, so id like some enclosed areas where the garden is “hugging” you, maybe multiple solitary seats (to reflect so many going thru the same pain yet feeling isolated) thats comfy, with still, reflective waters and peaceful, calm colours in this area. But then you need something to tempt you eventually to lift your eyes and look up/around and see the world beyond - maybe a view through a cut-out , or a sound of moving water that you cant see so it encourages you to go find it. And then the planting could change to more vibrant/movement but with some repetition of planting from the first area, symbolising you never “get over” your loss, you take it with you and life literally grows around it. And the seating should become big enough for sharing as you finally start opening up to others. Cant wait to see how it all develops - if there are any opportunities for keen amateurs to help in any way please let us know! :sunflower: