Sad songs as therapy?

That’s lovely that you did music together and hopefully one day you’ll be able to watch/listen to recordings. The memories will be there waiting for you when you’re ready.

3 Likes

Yes I hope so…thank you :heart:

2 Likes

Pudding I can totally understand as i cant listen to jealous of the angels by Catherine jenkins as it was the song we had for song sue went in to for her funeral

Except I would rather like my funeral to use exactly the same music. It was beautiful. My brother wrote and read a poem very moving poem. He is a published poet.

1 Like

I had never heard this before but just listened to it. It gave me goosebumps all the way through. What a beautiful song.

1 Like

I was not familiar with this song. I distinctly remember “Run”, but missed this one. Great song.

1 Like

AceHigh, you’re entirely the same as me. I too chose Josh Groban to be played at the funeral. Weeping helps you get through the grief. It is a form of cleansing away the pain, at least for me. I know your eyes get sore, and the tissues pile up, but that’s the price we pay for having had, and lost, our “Once Upon a Time”. Sending hugs for your loss, and hope the pain eases, a little, helped by the songs. After all, they were written by people feeling the same as we do. x

3 Likes

It’s already been a really hard week and then comes the weekend, which tends to be the worst for me. Time to play some tunes and then force myself to get cleaned up and go out to dinner like a normal person. Go through the motions until I hopefully someday believe it again I guess.
Thanks for your thoughts.

2 Likes

Hi Acehigh - its my 70th birthday tomorrow and my niece bought me an early pressie - an Alexa. I too have found myself sitting in my partner’s armchair with a glass of single malt listening to music that reminds me of my Graham who died suddenly in March. Ive not cried so often recently and find myself feeling guilty for not doing so, but the tears certainly flow - especially hearing John Denver’s Sunshine on my Shoulder - he loved JD’s music and it featured at his funeral. It sounds self-indulgent to morn this way but its our way of getting through this dreadful time in our lives. So go with it my dear. Find solace in music. I’m not looking forward to my birthday without him even though im so lucky with family and friends. A part of me will always be missing. Sending you hugs - have a drink and celebrate her life your own way.

4 Likes

Hi @Pudding I have just noticed your post about the song Albatros by Fleetwood Mac.
My husband was in a band for over 30 years and was the singer but Albatros was always the bands finishing number and I still find it difficult to listen to it as M&S have it on their advertisment on TV. I was going to have it at his funeral but we decided to play a CD of him singing instead. I love music but I try not to listen to sad songs and have only recently been able to listen to my husband’s CD’s without having a meltdown.
Pat
xx

3 Likes

Hi Erindoors. I’m so sorry for your loss of your dear Graham this year. I know he will be looking down on you for your birthday tomorrow, and I wanted to send you birthday hugs just because I’m someone who was left behind when my 74 year old love passed away in Feb. I now have nowhere for the hugs to go, so I’m sending them your way. John Denver is a favourite of mine too. “I’m Sorry” is a song of his which I’ve been playing since I was bereaved. John Denver says everything about how we feel now. There is no guilt needed for not crying, you are keeping Graham’s memory alive, in your heart and with your music. He will be close around you tomorrow, and will allow you to have a refill of your glass as you remember the times you shared, and the years you were lucky to have with him. Birthday hugs being sent on wings to you, my dear. x

1 Like

Thank you for your kind wishes. I sat and had a scotch and indulged myself with Eva Cassidy and I Know You by Heart - wept buckets! I’m Sorry is a lovely John Denver song and yes it is very meaningful when you cant tell the person youve lost you are sorry for anything you may have said or done to hurt them. Need to tell people how much we love them every day. Best wishes to you too.

3 Likes

My husband loved fleetwood mac too ! His favourite was “Tusk” xxx

1 Like

Thank you for your understanding too Erindoors, words and music do comfort me when I think of things I wished I could have said. Clearly, we are all only human and make the same mistakes. Sorry you wept buckets, hope it will help you feel a little lighter and make you feel a bit better during your birthday. I would change the words slightly now, in Poems, Prayers and Promises: How right it was to love someone, and how right it was to care. I will raise a glass of scotch to you tomorrow.

2 Likes

Cheers Jay👍

1 Like

I finally managed to listen to jealous of the angels by Catherine Jenkins .still a bit tearful and had bon jovi thank you for loving me sat and had a couple of glasses of rum

2 Likes

Another of my wife’s favourites and where I hope she is:

And She Was

1 Like

Sounds like we all need to have a virtual toast. To our significant others and to ourselves for persevering.

I’ll drink to that!

3 Likes

My favourite is "lost without your love " by bread … been listening to that a lot this weekend x

1 Like

And another, sorry these are sad songs for me

Dreamin

1 Like