Writing the Christmas cards

Hi Sheila,

have only just got rid of my ‘disco’ clothes from the 1970s! Nothing very classy there so wasn’t too fussed. I do wish I had more of Mum’s clothes though. I used to have a gold circular skirt of hers and a black taffeta dress as well. Don’t know what happened to them. I have her 1950s wedding dress which is so tiny the waist would be tight round one of my arms! What do you do with these things? They cannot be given to a charity shop.

Mum had Dad’s dinner jacket for years and I think in the end gave it to a friend’s husband. I also have the velvet top Mum wore to her 90th birthday party. Doubt I would wear it but she looked so lovely in it I hadn’t the heart to get rid of it. At least I have photographs of Mum in some of her dresses.

I agree, the love of our families and relatives is more important than anything material. My memories of growing up in the 60s are wonderful, childhood holidays to the seaside and lots of fun and laughter. Later on unsuitable boyfriends and Mum and Dad teasing me about them. Never met ‘The One’ though but it is never too late I suppose.

Mel

Yeah Sheila, I spend a little time each night (YouTube) listening to Disco music we used to dance to in the 60s, There is even a few videos an uploader has with a female dancer, dressed in mini doing the dance of the day (she actually looks a lot like my Ann) it takes me back. And yes, makes me blubber! Happy days. Where did the time go?
Now…i liked fish and chips in newspaper, liked the the smell emitting from them. And would always tear a hole in the paper, and pull the chips through the hole Ha! Always liked a bag of scrumps too, the left over fried batter bits, and of course a bottle of “Tizer” and you could get money back for the empty bottle Lol!

We always headed to the Wimpy bar, straight after watching a film at the local Odeon cinema.
Mel, I know its not the same, but my neighbours husband passed 8yrs ago, and she still has all his cloths and hadn’t the heart to take them to a charity shop, but recently she found a local company that given her choice clothing, will cut them to patches and make soft toy animals from them, for personal use, or family children, which I thought nice. And NO its never to late to find a soul mate.
Chatting on here certainly brings back so many happy memories, and makes me very thankful for what I once had. Could reminisce all night Lol!. …Take care…John xx

Yes all these memories are cheering me up too. I am currently at home having a new central heating boiler installed, no heating so am frozen. Can’t even have a hot bath to warm up as no hot water that way either. A hot shower is not the same when you have to step out into freezing cold air.

How did we manage before central heating? I can remember in the 1960s dressing under the bedclothes it was so cold in the winter. Wall mounted electric heater above the bedroom window which was more or less useless.

Hot water bottles are my best friends at the moment.

One of the things I found when I moved was the unfinished patchwork quilt Mum was making with scraps of material from the clothes she made us. I can sit and look at that and remember the dresses I wore over the years. I intend finishing the quilt at some stage and having it on one of the beds.

I have two of my Grandmother’s evening dresses from the 1930s and 40s. Amazing ones with long flowing skirts. Cannot get rid of those either.

Yes, im a firm believer in the afterlife too Sheila, Ive had so many experiences since Ann passed I know they are still around us.
Most kids don’t know how lucky they are now a days, with central heating, Tvs, laptops, smart phones ect in there rooms. When like you said, we had freezing cold rooms, where you could scrape the ice off the insides of the window! mum would put old overcoats on top of bed for extra insulation, and you would lay there breathing out vapour!. Entertainment if you were lucky was a old transistor radio tuned into Radio Luxembourg or Caroline. Volume low of course, as not to wake brothers and sister.
How on earth did we survive!
And playing the latest 45s on the Dansette record player (which my daughter now has, and still works)
Remember the first Tape recorders? Great heavy things, reel to reel. amazing when you look at what we have now!
And of course the old black and white Tv. Ours was a “Stella” 12" one, and only had BBC. Took a few minutes for it to warm up Lol!
Take care…John x

Corr I remember The Quatermass Experiment! it was quite scary. And Magnifying screens! forgot about those. There was also a kind of amber film you could put on the screen to make it coloured! Wasn’t very effective.
Yes I do like our reminiscing Sheila to, makes me think back of lots of things, could go on all night…but I wont…cause it late, and a I need my beauty sleep! :wink: …John x

You look after yourself as well Sheila, and yes, most definitely we will meet up again with our loved ones, no doubt about it!
Im trying not to make things feel to bad, for myself and the kids, by honoring her dying wishes, by doing what we usually do at any time of year. The kids are doing things to involve there mum/Nan at xmas. Her grave made up Chrismas`y a small tree dressed by the little ones. A way of keeping her name and spirit alive.
Its never going to be the same, any time of the year, but, must pull together for the youngsters sakes.
Must keep in contact on this lovely site over Xmas period
Your never lonely when you have folk in the same position, and can chat just about anything on here …Love John x