15 months on and how I feel now

That’s very similar to my approach, @Ilovehorses. I considered the remaining years of my life ,( I am now 76) to be my final chapter. And whilst I suspect I know the final page, what the plot for this chapter was to a large extent up to me. So I wrote the plot of what I would like it to be, and how I hoped it could be achieved. This has been a great help in finding my way through my new life.
The latest thing I did was to go to Anglesey, where we spent many lovely holidays. I visited many places we enjoyed, which were often beaches. So I sat on a rock, thinking of things we did, chatted to her, and laughed as our 2 little poochon dogs went zoomies around the beach, rolling, chasing and digging with sheer joi de vivre. I came home with even more happy memories. We are going again in May to stay in a remote shepherds hut.

6 Likes

@tykey have to reiterate the thoughts of Lonelypanda above, many thanks for being such an inspiration, you’ve shown me a multitude paths on many occasions, some taken some ignored. Keep going!

2 Likes

Thanks, @Walan. I wish the same to you. If anyone asks me to pick one thing which has been the greatest help to me, it would have to be my two poochon dogs, Rosie and Crumpet.
They have been consistent loving companions, friendly to strangers, opening oportunities for chats and friendships. Im sure Rosie is trying to find me a new wife, and if Crumpet ever sees a tear in my eyes, she jumps on me, looks into my eyes and licks them dry, and I think she is saying " It’s ok Dad, I’m here, we can do this,!"

So if anyone hadnt already got a dog, get one or preferably two!

2 Likes

@tykey Unfortunately I already have a very elderly, grumpy cat. She’s loving in her own particular cat way. It usually involves her daily quest for tuna. Maybe next time, just don’t tell the cat

3 Likes

I agree and my beautiful dog Sammy was a huge comfort to me but sadly at 15yrs old he died just 5mths after his daddy so I have lost the 2 major loves of my life

4 Likes

Oh my goodness. Thank you so much for sharing your journey, one that I am dreading but will have to go through.
You lay it bare but give so much hope whilst taking life a step at a time. Thank you and keep going xx

2 Likes

@Judy60 I’m sorry that this is a journey you find yourself on. If I can give someone a bit of hope that there is a life still to be had then that means a lot.
When you feel ready please share your story. There are so many people on this forum who just get it, are willing to support and provide hope.

A community we never expected to be part of, but one which has given me such strength.

Take care xx wishing you moments of peace x

5 Likes

@tykey
Thankyou for your response I’m sorry for the loss of your wife :frowning:
I’m quite proud of myself where I’m getting my strength from I do not know…
I have a cavalier King Charles I got him as a puppy 7 months before my partner Chris died… I’m not going to lie part of me regretted having him the first few months he was a burden I just couldn’t cope with his constant attention when I just needed to grieve! coupled with trying to organise the paperwork and funeral it all became too much and I started to feel resentment towards him…I had a few friends and family help for a few hours but it wasn’t enough really… He is still pretty demanding at just over a year but also my reason for getting up and getting motivated…when I’m feeling low he snuggles up to me and licks my face when I’m crying… I meet people on walks and offload my worries he really is my rock…
I’m glad you have your two pooches to keep you company sadly if i reach your age I will no longer have him as I’m only 58 and cavaliers only really live 13 years…deep down I don’t think I will live till I’m 76 both my parents died in there early 60s that’s really why I intend to use what time I have left filled with new adventures and spend as much time with my family as I can…
sending hugs x

3 Likes

@Ilovehorses , that positive attitude will help you through.
I love new adventures, it’s bittersweet that I can now doing those things which Penny would find difficult. I wrote a new bucket list. It had ,

Touring the Outer Hebrides in a motor home, flying a spitfire (not a real one), going cruising in a narrowboat, joining a 4 part harmony choir. Two outstanding ones. Whale watching in Alaska (dogs cant come), Microlighting (bit too heavy). I need to think of some more. All suggestions welcome,!

Am I too old for abseiling?:wink::smiley:

5 Likes

@tykey I tried archery recently, lets just say I’m not a natural, and I’m hoping to stay at friends in France this spring and ,if I do, to convince my friends next door neighbour to take me up in his glider

4 Likes

@tykey
That’s brilliant a bucket list… I wish I could be doing that bucket list with my Chris…
he had the outer Hebrides on his bucket list and two years ago we did both the inner and outer hebredise it was amazing the beaches are out of this world here is a photo I took ive had it framed…
They really would want us to enjoy what we have left x

2 Likes

Outer hebredise

@tykey

3 Likes

1 Like

My friend bought me this for Xmas, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry lol but it’s actually a brilliant idea

1 Like

What a thoughtful gift!!!
What’s in it, @Sarlyn ?

1 Like

It has a checklist, ideas, suggestions and how you progress to obtaining your goals, so you think of something you want to do and write down how you are going to achieve it basically, except I haven’t made any progress with it yet lol.
I have something’s swirling around in my brain but nothing majorly exciting but it does make you think of what you want your life to look like now

1 Like

@Walan
I too tried archery and loved it but ended up with a dead arm for about a week lol

2 Likes

How about this for a start? I always wanted to do it, but my two metal knees dont work too well these days. Just above Buttermere!

2 Likes

@tykey omg that would be my worst nightmare lol
I love Buttermere and walked that lake so many times over the years. I go to the Lakes every year and have done for 30yrs. So many happy memories

@Ilovehorses just stunning