1st birthday

It’s his first birthday since he left us on Sunday, not sure how I feel/what to do about the day.
Do I do something to mark the occasion for the kids or ??
Any thoughts

3 Likes

My partner’s birthday was last week Thursday (also first one)
It’s a tough day

I was undecided whether to ignore it or embrace it for what it was

Decided on the latter and bought her card and gifts and placed them on her headstone and spent morning going though photos and putting a sort of tribute together.

Don’t know if it helped or made it harder - tough day no matter how you spin it. Guess I probably felt better for having done something and dedicating the day to her

I don’t have kids, so didn’t have to factor that in

Hope its not too heartbreaking breaking, whatever you decide

3 Likes

It’s all personal decisions.
My husband has now had 2 birthdays… the first one 6 weeks after he died, I marked with a small gathering at our house. I was a way of making everyone still remember, and an excuse for me to do some cooking. ( Just realised that was probably the last proper cooking I did!!,) I also used it as a cheeky excuse to raise more money for the hospital charity that I raised money for in his name at his funeral - suggesting that if they would have bought him a present, a card or a pint, they added another pound or two!
I put cards up for him that I had kept from previous year, and some bunting that was football shirts with his name on, that had been put up for me at his wake in the pub
That bunting is still up in my kitchen now! It was emotional but special, and served my purpose of keeping him alive in other people’s eyes.

This year was a more personal tribute.
Bought him a present, and put his cards up, the same ones again , which will go up every year.
To be honest this second birthday probably harder than the first.

Will think of you on Sunday.
Happy Birthday to your husband.
Whatever you decide will be right for you and him.
Love, hugs and strength
:yellow_heart::hugs::pray:

2 Likes

It’s my partners birthday on 28th April first one since I lost him on 2nd December 23. My grown children and grandchildren are coming around he loved pizza so we will have pizza party and remember him bought some balloons for the grandchildren to let off. Lucky it’s a Sunday because I don’t think I could get through the day if I was at work x

3 Likes

Well that sounds like a lovely close family celebration in memory of your husband.
Love, hugs and strength :yellow_heart::hugs::pray:

1 Like

It would be my partners on the 15th April. I’m going to Madrid to meet my sister and her husband. I’ve said we need to have pizza because that’s what he’d have had, plus plenty of beer!

1 Like

Thanks guys, did a last minute trip to Disneyland in France left on his bday came back a few days later we had to cancel one we had booked not long after he died as we couldn’t face it.
Best decision made it so easy for our 11 year old

2 Likes

Just do what feels right for you and your family. There is no wrong way.