A new relationship

I lost my husband 18 months ago and I have connected with a very good male friend, I and my husband knew h8m during school days some 55 years ago. He is supporting me when 8 have sad moments and we keep in touch by phone a couple of times a week and occasionally meet for coffee or lunch. He has had lunch at my house and I have visited his house. He has been married twice before and has a family including grandchildren. He has asked if I want to go on a short cruise with him. But he wants be to be in his bedroom. I am struggling as I have not been able to be physically sexual active for several years due to a health condition I have no arousal. I haven’t told him that yet. He is not keen on the title friend but he is the best friend ever. We have fun together and we laugh a lot. He has said there is no pressure and if it happens it happens and if it doesn’t it doesn’t I must admit I take that as being physical. I am 68 and he is 70. We are both young at heart. I have tried all ways to join groups as I really need to make new friends I have moved house to be nearer my son ands I don’t know anyone. I have no social activities and I feel lost. I am just feeling so empty and I do not want more than a friendship at this time. Any tips on how to make friends??

3 Likes

Hi I realy think whatever new relationship s we make we owe it to the other person to be totally honest it will save a lot of stress confusion and embarrasment further down the line You have said you only want friendship , so tell him that before you bookup.Take care xxx

4 Likes

Agree with Hope5 - need a frank, honest conversation to set/manage expectations and then take it from there

2 Likes

Liz17 think you need to sit down and have a full and frank conversation with him about what you both want from the friendship and lay some ground rules for both of you

I’d add boundaries to that, too.

1 Like