A trouble shared...

Today, I’ve been reading all of Sue Ryder’s posts about bereavement and sharing experiences and it inspired me to write a blog post.

https://emilymaybanks.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/sue-ryder-and-bereavement/

I think it’s important to have a solid support network throughout the grieving process, not a big support network, even just one or two people who you completely and utterly trust and can be open with can help enormously. When my Dad died, I didn’t feel at first as though I could really talk to people, especially my family so I did stuff that made me almost forget about what was going on, like focussing all my energy on my school work at the time. It’s only been the past year when I’ve really started to open up about it and I have found it extremely helpful and it’s made me realise that I’m not alone even though I’ve had times when I have felt so isolated. Volunteering and writing for Sue Ryder has helped me hugely especially recently when I’ve been feeling quite upset and anxious about changes in my life and how these changes have made me think of and remember my Dad a lot.

I think I’ve learned over the past month or so that grief can creep up on you when you least expect it to even years after the death has happened and I’m still trying to accept that it’s relatively normal, especially when there’s a massive thing going on in my life (for me; my 21st Birthday in June and also my upcoming year abroad). Posting on this online community has been very helpful recently and I would like to thank (from the bottom of my heart!) Sue Ryder for providing me with lots of lovely advice and kind words.

No one should have to struggle through bereavement alone!
#notinsilence

1 Like

Thanks Em! We’re pleased to be able to help where we can :slight_smile:

We love reading your blogs - and we’re certain they (and your posts on here) are really helpful for others reading who are looking for support. It’s good for others to hear people’s experiences and see if similar things will help them too.

It seems like writing has been hugely helpful for you to get your thoughts in order. Even if people write down their feelings but never share that with anyone, it can still prove a really valuable exercise to start to make sense of what’s going on.