Advice on sick leave

My dad died 10 weeks ago suddenly and unexpectedly following a freak occurrence. He was a strong, fit and healthy man. His death was and still is a huge shock for me and my family.
Since his death I have been the main support for my mum who is understandably devastated and heartbroken.
I have been on sick leave from work since his death. My work colleagues and manager have been very supportive and understanding. However I have found my gp surgery to be less helpful. I feel like I have had to beg for sick notes and justify why I’m not ready to return to work.
Initially I was told I didn’t need to speak to a doctor they would just issue a sick note. My first sick note was for two weeks. When I next requested a sick note I was given a further two weeks and told should I require more time I would have to make an appointment and speak to a doctor. So after numerous phone calls and sitting in phone queues for almost an hour I eventually got to speak to a doctor. Although he was kind he clearly did not have any experience or knowledge of bereavement and didn’t really know what to say to me. He gave me a sick note for a month. Once that had elapsed I got a further sick note for 3 weeks. That runs out tomorrow so I requested another. The doctor that called me today was cold and uncaring and told me I should be getting back to normal now and getting back to a routine by going back to work. The whole time I was on the phone to her I was crying. She said the longer I have off the harder it will be to go back. Which initially I understood and can see her point. She tried to push for me to go back to work this week but eventually said she would give me a further 2 weeks then I should return on phased return.
I have done nothing but cry since the phone call and then to top it off I received my sick note and she has given me 7 days. So I will have to return on Tuesday.

I don’t feel ready to go back. I am still very emotional and still in a state of disbelief. I can’t imagine doing my job let alone doing it to the high standards I usually uphold.

I really feel like the surgery has absolutely no compassion or understanding. I feel like they don’t care. They are essentially saying 10 weeks is adequate time to get over the sudden loss of a significant person in my life. Not one doctor has asked the circumstances of his death - which I feel is quite important as I’m finding it hard to come to terms with, they’ve not asked who I’ve lost, what my support network is like or if I need any extra support. They just want to get off the phone as quick as possible.

I’m just really worried about returning to work too soon and not being able to cope and then having to go back to square one and potentially damaging my mental health long term. Not only that, I’m not ready to leave my mum completely on her own whilst I work full time. I have spent every day with her since to support her and do things she’s not up to doing. I know I’ve probably not helped long term as it will be hard to go from being there every day to not being there but I really feel awful if I’m not there with her.

Has anybody else had any difficulties in getting sick leave or sick notes? What are other peoples doctors like? Any advice?

Hi Flo5

When my mum died suddenly and unexpectedly 2 years ago I got a sick note for 2 weeks, then another then another. After 4 months of being off sick my doctor said I should try and get back to work.

I felt so sick and didnt know how I could possibly return to a high powered and stressful job with the shock and trauma I was still going through.

I spoke with my employer and they agreed to let me start on 8 hours a week for 2 weeks and gradually increase. It was the best thing I could have done.

Yes, I had wobbles. Yes I ran to the toilets for a cry a couple of times a day. But in time I got stronger and stronger and within 2 months back at work I was working full hours and functioning well

I agree with the doctor. Try and negotiate a slow return to work and you will feel so much stronger. If I hadnt returned I was in danger of never resuming work and now I enjoy the distraction that work brings me.

Its actually my rest days where I continue to struggle with the loss of my mum.

Cheryl

Hi @C1971

Thank you for your reply. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree I do need to return to work and I know I have to at some point. I have always enjoyed work and it has always been the centre of my life really. But I feel now things have shifted and what was important to me before is no longer important. I just feel so unprepared to go back next week. I thought I had a little longer at least. I feel like that job is a part of my old life and I can’t go back to it. I know that’s silly because of course I can go back, everything just feels so altered now. I have never been off work for any considerable amount of time in my whole working life so this is all quite alien to me.

I know I will be returning on a phased return but I don’t know how lenient they can be regarding hours. I think they have a set policy that starts at 50% of my working hours the first week and then it increases quite rapidly after that. But that is something I will have to discuss with my manager.

Thank you for your advice and perspective.

Take care.

1 Like

Flo5

I dont think my employers were too impressed with me only doing 8 hours either, but without that leniency I would never have improved.

Good luck…you will get there.

I detest that life goes on without my mum in it. But unfortunately it does and my mum would have hated what her death did to me.

Cheryl

C1971

It’s in everyone’s best interest to support the bereaved returning to work really. I’m glad you managed to negotiate what worked for you.

Thank you.

I know exactly what you mean. I hate that so much has already happened in the absence of my dad. But we can’t stop time and we can’t stop life carrying on.

Take care.