After life .

I’ve been watching after life the TV series by Ricky Gervais.
It’s an amazing show he’s done.
It my help some people he’s a really good actor in this.
…and it covers some very good points.

2 Likes

I found the first two easier to watch and relate to but found the third series rather upsetting. I also found the sexual humour and bad language inappropriate.

3 Likes

Read good reviews about it but unsure to start watching in case I find it too upsetting. Just lost my husband in sept. X

2 Likes

Be mindful for yourself, it hasn’t been six weeks since I lost my husband and I found this really difficult to watch. Ordinarily I would have watched and enjoyed this, but it is very close to how I feel :broken_heart:

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t recommend this to someone that’s still raw… I found it very upsetting in the beginning but now nearly a year on… It’s still extremely sad but so much of it you can relate too… Is a well made show in my opinion.

4 Likes

I just finished watching it all. Although I did find it really upsetting as I have only just lost my mum but things were said which I didn’t think about. It hit home a lot but he got grief spot on

2 Likes

I watched the first series with my husband not knowing that I would be in the same position two months later but found last series hard to watch on my own so prepare yourself if you do watch it xx

2 Likes

I watched this four weeks after losing my partner. I’d watched the fist two seasons.

It was difficult, I wasn’t prepared for how hard hitting it would be, yet, it is the only thing I’ve found to express exactly how I’m feeling.

I even bought it up to my therapist, I am literally Ricky Gervais at the moment. I put on a face at work to the public, I go home, feed the dog and pour a wine, I go to bed with the dog on the bed and do it all again the following day.

I don’t want to be here. I’ve had enough of this lifetime. I have nothing to look forward to.

3 Likes

Os77

I’m so sorry for your loss :cry: it is so hard for us all. I watched the seasons and found them horribly tough, but another week on u can’t stop rewatching it. I find I connect to it in so many ways and as upset as it makes me feel I watch it over and over obsessively.

I too feel like it reflects my exhistance at the moment, get up, washed and dressed, walk the dog and feed him. Not back at work yet, but then repeat on an evening.

I don’t know about anyone else but I am finding that I have a day, maybe two…okay days where I manage and do things to keep me busy, but then the next two or three days I completely fall apart into that deep pit of sadness and dispair. No matter what I try to do, who I talk too I just can’t get out of it, it’s like all consuming and I literally cannot get away from it until it reaches its course.

I cried as I drove to my favourite dog walking place this morning, cried for the whole hour and half walk, anyone who drive passed me must have thought I was a mad woman. Then cried when I came home and eventually usec the online cruse chat to talk it through.

These are tough weeks, I think that realisation of living in the house without my husband is hitting home now.

Take care and hang on in there x

3 Likes

I have never rated Ricky Gervais but he has brought a subject no one really talks about to a new level. It would do some people, who have not lost a loved one, a power of good and give them an incite into the feelings and devastation we all feel. We’ll done. Love and Light.

4 Likes

Hi Karen,

I completely understand how you’re feeling.

I had a couple of ‘ok’ days this week, whatever ‘ok’ is supposed to feel like ever again, the first since his death in December, then bang out of nowhere this afternoon it hit me all over again.

I walked into the spare room and picked up his unwashed uniform and last top he had worn and just sobbed into it, I could smell him so strongly. I just needed to be close to him again. I then started causing further upset thinking his smell will fade soon.

I’m so angry and heartbroken that I have been left behind.

None of my family or friends truly understand what I’m going through at all and as much as they’re checking in (less so now) I feel empty and alone.

2 Likes

OS77

I get what you say, I’m not an expert I’ve only been doing this 7weeks tomorrow, although it feels like a lifetime already. For me, I need to talk through it when it’s really bad, I never knew it was possible for a human being to have so many tears. I’m sure my body must be completely dehydrated after.

But on a “trying to be helpful” note, my crying won’t stop until I’ve talked about it, it doesn’t matter if I put it min my journal, say it out loud, text it to a friend, use the online instant chat on the cruse site etc. I just have to get the words out, it’s like the relentless, far, sadness feeling won’t let go until I talk about it. Sending hugs x

4 Likes

As a rule I don’t like Ricky Gervais so was a bit apprehensive about watching this show, but I had exhausted most of Netflix so I started watching it.
Yes I thought it was a bit emotional obviously and yes I do agree it is a good show and does cover some good points I found myself nodding and agreeing to some points and saying I can relate to that or yes I feel like that and I would recommend people to watch it. My fiancé passed away last October from covid.

4 Likes

Same thoughts, thoughts are with you. Surprising how many helpful films are out there though, I saw one of the best films I’d ever seen & enjoyed in years. Forget title sorry , she kept finding messages from het Husband supposedly :two_hearts: I thought what a lively idea to leavevmessages around for your offer half. I will try & remember order if there is a viewed category, I’m not techy. One of my biggest problems, can just about manage looking things up but so tiny on phones. All stereo tv etc old but techy!!!get x

3 Likes

Lovely idea & other half sorry phone typos x

1 Like

Karen Louise my response was to you, sorry I’ve no idea how to work this site, useless at taking info in anyway, thousand times worse now! Fully agree with you about busy- never stop!!! Part of the problem :disappointed_relieved: yes days repeat themselves & when One stops or listens to feelings or allows feelings eke yes non stop & exhausts you x!!

1 Like

Hi SMDW was the film called P.S. I love you? That sounds very similar if I remember correctly. Saw it years ago.

1 Like

I watched this today, I saw it a long time ago and accidently fell across it. It bought tears to my eyes :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Wish I could remember name of superb film one of the best I’ve ever seen was on Netflix to do with post, messages left for her everywhere now WHY didn’t we think of that!!!:thinking::sweat_smile: let’s all start writing them just in case, then we can leave others with some help x

2 Likes

Hi I think the film is called ps I love you . It is also a book . I read it a few years ago never thought I would be alone at 59 since the loss of my husband 20 weeks agox sorry for your loss x

3 Likes