After shave

I lost my husband a few weeks ago and I am going through a living hell. I adored him. One of the many things I loved about him was the way he always smelled amazing. After his shower, he alway used Mandate deodorant and aftershave and I always associated that lovely smell with him
Tonight, desperate and sobbing, I sprayed some on my hand. It sort of helped but doesn’t quite smell like him. I would give anything to be able to snuggle up to him and lose myself in that smell.
As it is, I can’t do that, and I can’t decide whether that smell makes me feel worse or better…
Where do I go from here? I just want comfort.

1 Like

Ann, so sorry to hear your pain. I lost my Gerry 12 weeks tonight and he was the same with Lynx Africa. I have kept one but I haven’t sprayed it. It’s such a cheap and common one I often smell it on other men, after the first time I was upset but now feel ok. You may not be able to decide yet whether it will give you comfort or not. Take care.

Thank you Janet. I am so sorry for your loss. We are all in much the same boat here, aren’t we? Lost, grieving, empty, and it is so hard to pull ourselves up, but we somehow have to. Take care of yourself. Ann

Hi Ann. Does it matter? Anything that brings just a small amount of comfort should not be ignored. Smells can often trigger emotions as much as sights or sounds. Yes, ‘a living hell’ just about sums it up.
‘Where do I go from here’? You take it one day at a time or even one hour at a time. Some comfort will come given time. It’s so difficult for you to believe that now but it’s true. Be kind to yourself. All of us can only speak from our own experience. What goes on in another’s mind we will never know. But you are here among friends which is very important.
Blessings and take care. John.

Thank you John. I know I am far from the only one suffering like this but I had no inkling it would be quite so horrendous all day and some of the night. There seems to be no end to it. Thank you for caring.

Hi Ann my name is Jeanette and I lost my husband of 40yrs just over a year ago.And I still have his Eau Savage after shave and just can’t part with it.So I know where your coming from?Its so good to come on here and talk.People are lovely and it helps.X

Hi Jeanette,
Thank you for that. I am so glad I am not the only one. It certainly helps to keep us sane going on here because we can hear from people doing and thinking the same things we are. That is reassuring.

Oh Ann you are not alone. We are all going through this tough time together. My husband was only 67 when he passed and just retired. We were looking forward to being retired together(I’ve just retired)but sadly it was not tobe.:pensive:The important thing I’ve found is to keep busy.Ive now got a rescue cat.:+1::smirk_cat:And have been doing lots of things in the house and garden.I have 4 grandchildren and 2 amazing son’s. So I am lucky.Weekends are the worst I find.And come on here if I need too.x