Agoraphobia

Does anyone else suffer from agoraphobia?

I’ve had it since I was 16 years old and I’m 32 now. I lost my Mum in January this year and started a new job a few weeks ago.

I’m really scared I’ll relapse and not be able to get to work. My panic attacks and anxiety are off the charts at the moment :pensive:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum, @stardust2023.

@Ali29 had written about suffering from agoraphobia on this thread - maybe you can chat.

Are you getting any support from your GP or mental health team? If not, it might be a good idea to reach out to them and tell them that you’re struggling right now :blue_heart:

Hopefully someone will be along to share their thoughts - I just wanted you to know you’ve been heard.

1 Like

I don’t suffer from agoraphobia but I do find that anxiety has become an issue since the death of my husband.
Seemingly simple tasks or outings can become overwhelming very quickly and without warning.
I try to take a deep breath, calm my thoughts and keep going. The feelings pass as they always do - I just have to remember that. Try to distract your thoughts from thinking about what might happen - the more you manage to keep going hopefully your confidence in yourself and your ability to manage your anxiety will grow.
Take care and keep posting here for support xx

3 Likes

I suffer with severe panic and anxiety attacks , since my husband passed away suddenly. Im struggling to leave the house as the grief and panic attacks are all consuming. I feel for you! Sotty for you’re loss xx

2 Likes

My father died a year and ago and 2 months ago I started having panic attacks. Thankfully they have now stopped by I still have anxiety and feel stressed the whole time. I just can’t relax. I have started counselling. Which helps, but I wished I could feel like my old self again. What has helped you in the past to deal with it? Are getting support from somebody? I try to show compassion for myself.
Please keep on sharing as your feelings are valid and you are not alone in having these feelings. X

2 Likes

I get this when I feel low even when he was alive

It doesn’t help when you hear about stabbings in your home town

I am fine when I feel well but it does affect me when I feel low in other ways

1 Like

Thank you for the replies.

I had an assessment with Sue Ryder for online sessions but they decided not to offer me them because they said 6 wouldnt be enough.

I’m waiting to see if the hospice can offer anything but its not looking good because im under the mental health team on a waiting list for EMDR for issues prior to losing my mum.