Alcohol

I lost my husband to alcoholic liver disease i spent 10 years trying to cope with his illness …i kept it all to myself…was looking after elderly parents and working full time …i was so worn out and stressed…i lost him last week and now i feel heartbroken and empty

3 Likes

Hello @Believe,

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. It sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and it’s understandable that you are feeling heartbroken and empty.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you right now.

Take care - keep reaching out,
Alex

1 Like

my most sincere condolences.

life can be overwhelming and crushing … just getting through it. I can imagine how much you must miss him.

alcohol and other addictions are tough to beat. the best thing to do is not blame yourself. sometimes there might have been nothing you can do. we do our best. what more can we ask of ourselves or others.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your loss. Do you go to Al anon? My husband was an addict. He took his own life as he couldn’t ever see a way out of the vile illness of addiction. At first I was devastated but just lately I found myself being mad with him and questioning a lot of his past behaviours.

I’ve realised I’ve had about 8 years worth of trauma from the addiction I never really dealt with at the time. I don’t want to think badly of my husband as I adored him but his behaviour at times during the dark times was hell on earth. It’s made the grief so much harder. Xx

1 Like

I lost my husband in august to the same thing. He was just 32 leaving me and his 2 young daughters. You experience so much pain when living with it and i agree that it makes the grieving so much harder because there are so many emotions that all come together. You are not alone. Xxx

2 Likes