Almost a year

Hello,
I lost my wife of twenty years on April 12 of last year and since that time my life has been like a bad dream. I still do the things that must be done to carry on, and try to do the things that I always enjoyed but the problem is that there’s no spark anymore.

I know it’s the same world as it was a year ago and yet it’s completely different. I still live in the same house and sleep in the same bed but somehow it’s not the same house and same bed. It’s like all of the color has faded, leaving a shell of what was once my perception of life.

I thought that with time that the colors would return. That life would once again seem normal but sadly, this is not the case. At least not yet. I spent last summer creating a memorial garden in my backyard for my love, and now I hope I can find the strength to go out there and live among the memories that I both cherish and fear for I never know what those memories will do to me.

I know this is a journey and I’m learning that it’s a long one. And learning I do. The key is not to be surprised like I was on her birthday. I didn’t think that day would bother me emotionally, but sometimes the brain has other ideas. Now I just kind of keep my head down, always thinking of the next thing that might hit me out of the blue so that it doesn’t surprise me.

My heart goes out to anyone who has to experience this. Grief seems like such a personal thing even though I know that thousands and thousands feel this same thing every day. I know that someday I’ll come out on the other side of this and that when I do I’ll know that I’ve grown somehow.

But until that day, I think I’ll seek some support. Thanks for listening.

10 Likes

Hi i know how you feel i lost my partner a year on the 12th of April too .And i do have a bit better days now but its still a struggle and i miss him has much now as the day i lost him .Just think in time it will get easier to live with and try to stay positive good you have joined this forum everyone is so supportive and ive made some good friends on here xx

1 Like

CClay
Your a bit ahead of me in time it’s 6 months since my husbands death. Your right about loss of colour and spark . I feel that to . Together that was created wasn’t it with our life partner , so without them things are in the same place, BUT very different .
I call it a house not a home the empty feeling is the shell you described .
They should be here with us .Grief It’s very physical :broken_heart:
I’ve learnt that grief is not obedient it does its own thing CClay

beautifully written and expressed. these losses are the greatest in life and they do bow our heads.

you seem to acknowledge that and handle life appropriately. when I broke up with a long time ex, the color left my world, the juice. it is a dead, dead feeling and all encompassing.

thanks for sharing. you seem to have the right attitude and are sparing yourself unnecessary drama, sort of to go forth and learn about this life, even with its tragedies.